Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China - Flight MH370

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Allison View Post
    Whatever the outcome of this, it will undoubtedly change some commercial aviation policies and procedures forever. In addition, it must be causing countries like China, the U.S., Canada, Russia, Israel, India and others lots of concern that Malaysia was essentially "asleep at the wheel" while this all went down. Makes me wonder if some of the more developed countries are going to develop systems to track everything that goes on in the skies a lot better. What do the rest of you think?
    Undoubtedly we are in the middle of a 9/11 moment. Can't see things ever being the same again.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jblue View Post
      the "orange box" can be unplugged in which case there will be nothing. I believe that there are 2 on this plane.
      The circuit breakers for the FDR and CVR in a 777 are not located in the cockpit. They are located in the tail of the plane, a bit hard to get to in flight but not impossible to turn off if you knew what you were doing.
      www.ADS-B.ca

      Comment


      • Originally posted by LocalHero View Post
        OK guys, been doing my own private detective bit! Have been playing back 7th March in FR24. There's a Global Challenger 6000 flying very high in a continuous circle over Afghanistan. Callsign GLEX. It continues to circle from around 15:00 to around 23:00 - 8 hours just circling! Just after 23:00 it stops circling and heads south. Shortly afterwards it goes out of range and disappears from view.

        By looking at the progress of FIN82 (SIN-HEL), you can see that at 18:00 it would have been very near to where it is thought MH370 would have been if it had taken a north-westerly route. At 23:00, FIN82 is very nearby GLEX. You can therefore assume that the invisible MH370 would also be nearby if it took the same route.

        My theory is (and I'm no expert!) is that GLEX switched off all transponders etc as MH370 intercepted it, and MH370 took over its "identity" and continued to fly on and land at some remote airport. To ATC, it would appear as GLEX and not raise any suspicions. The Challenger could fly off and land at a small airfield somewhere without anyone noticing.

        I have no idea if this is possible, but it does seem to link up nicely.

        GLEX at 15:00: http://fr24.com/2014-03-07/15:12/48x/GLEX/2d7ea29
        FIN82 at 18:00: http://www.flightradar24.com/2014-03.../FIN82/2d80a98
        GLEX at 23:00 (with FIN82 to the northeast): http://www.flightradar24.com/2014-03...x/GLEX/2d7ea29

        This GLEX is actually circling over the same area of Afganistan almost everyday, check it with playback. Not sure why, but it looks somehow strange....

        Comment


        • A surveillance aircraft of some description, civilian contractor on behalf of military?

          Comment


          • The Flightradar FAQ says: "Sometimes the pilot types wrong callsign into the transponder". Does that mean that if MH370 was hijacked, they could turn off the ADS-B transponder, type in a false callsign and registration number and then later turn it on again pretending to be another aircraft, and then be allowed to fly into a country's airspace?

            Comment


            • Could it be possible that the plane was taken to a country like Dagestan given a new identity ready to use as a weapon at a later date?
              Something like The Nuclear Security Summit 2014 in the Hague?
              There`s a lot of nuclear waste laying around in the former Russian "Stans"

              Comment


              • GLEX is currently heading South West over Canada

                Bombardier Global 6000
                Altitude
                43,000 ft
                Vertical Speed
                0 fpm
                Speed
                529 mph
                Track
                250
                Latitude
                52.41
                Longitude
                -64.72
                Radar
                T-F5M

                Recall seeing it on a previous day over Britain too.

                Not too sure about your conspiracy theory though?

                Comment


                • The only thing that is obvious from this incident is the abysmal quality of the worlds news agencies.
                  With the death of newspapers the 'investigative reporter' is a thing of the past.
                  Fed up with all the headlines coming from 'anonymous sources'
                  Can't imagine how distressing this is for the families of the passengers.
                  Shame on China for criticizing Malaysia. They are not withholding information.
                  If there is no confirmed information, what are they expected to do. ?

                  But yes, this will change aviation forever. New tracking devices independent of
                  any tampering will be fitted. They have security cameras fitted on cabs and buses, so I can
                  see a time where they will be fitted to planes as well with the possibility that if the hijack alarm
                  is triggered or a major alarm like fire, it will start live streaming back to base along with the 'black box data'
                  Continuous streaming would be cost prohibitive, but selective streaming is a real possibility.

                  Comment


                  • Is GLEX not a code used for the aircraft type, rather than the registration of an individual aircraft?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by longpig_yum View Post
                      The only thing that is obvious from this incident is the abysmal quality of the worlds news agencies.
                      With the death of newspapers the 'investigative reporter' is a thing of the past.
                      Fed up with all the headlines coming from 'anonymous sources'
                      Can't imagine how distressing this is for the families of the passengers.
                      Shame on China for criticizing Malaysia. They are not withholding information.
                      If there is no confirmed information, what are they expected to do. ?

                      But yes, this will change aviation forever. New tracking devices independent of
                      any tampering will be fitted. They have security cameras fitted on cabs and buses, so I can
                      see a time where they will be fitted to planes as well with the possibility that if the hijack alarm
                      is triggered or a major alarm like fire, it will start live streaming back to base along with the 'black box data'
                      Continuous streaming would be cost prohibitive, but selective streaming is a real possibility.
                      Agree with the tamper-proof tracking, but as for the reporting, journalists may be given information on condition they don't name the source.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Flybywire View Post
                        Is GLEX not a code used for the aircraft type, rather than the registration of an individual aircraft?
                        Yes, and quite common, I often see one on the ground at Farnborough and have seen as many as 3 in the air at the same time.
                        FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

                        Comment


                        • Can someone please explain to me how this thing called "Radar" works.
                          If the transponder is turned off, wouldn't they still continue to track the plane ?
                          If so, then how is it possible for a plane to avoid radar detection.
                          What is a radars coverage. Can a plane fly too low to avoid detection, or is this
                          just a myth from the movies ?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                            Yes, and quite common, I often see one on the ground at Farnborough and have seen as many as 3 in the air at the same time.
                            Quite possibly as a number are listed in the database.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by longpig_yum
                              Can someone please explain to me how this thing called "Radar" works.
                              If the transponder is turned off, wouldn't they still continue to track the plane ?
                              If so, then how is it possible for a plane to avoid radar detection.
                              What is a radars coverage. Can a plane fly too low to avoid detection, or is this
                              just a myth from the movies ?
                              If you go back through the thread it is well explained by those far better qualified than me to repeat it. Take a look!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by putnik View Post
                                I only came across flightradar24 last Monday after returning home from holiday. I wondered even then, if the red Boeing 777 flying over the Himalayas and with no identification, could possibly be this lost aircraft. I now wish I could have taken a screenshot, because I can't get back to that time, to show anyone.
                                Goodness gracious. Are you serious?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X