Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China - Flight MH370

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it just me or are there 144 ADs for the 777, including the 777-200.
    Sounds pretty ominous.
    (see below link)
    http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...rch/?q=777-200

    Comment


    • Originally posted by longpig_yum View Post
      Is it just me or are there 144 ADs for the 777, including the 777-200.
      Sounds pretty ominous.
      (see below link)
      http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...rch/?q=777-200
      144 is pretty normal and probably has no real relevance to the crash.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by elheisenberg View Post
        http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...anager-3235818

        coult that be tha plane??? pls check the foto
        Wasn't it night time? Dark? I'm not convinced a satellite would be able to see down into blackness and pick out an aeroplane. The report doesn't even say when the image was taken, day, time etc.

        Talk about throwing the dog a bone! Media are so gullible.
        Michael
        Palmerston North,
        New Zealand
        ex-FR24 Feeder

        Comment


        • Originally posted by nzradar View Post
          Wasn't it night time? Dark? I'm not convinced a satellite would be able to see down into blackness and pick out an aeroplane. The report doesn't even say when the image was taken, day, time etc.

          Talk about throwing the dog a bone! Media are so gullible.
          Seems a lot of the readers are even more so around here (not referring to you btw.. sitting back and watching it unfold like I)

          The source for that image is the crowd searching site someone put up with sat data the following day. http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014 However it doesn't say timezone the stamp is, or if it is IR or false colour
          Couple of kiwis spotted that same object too. So not sure if they credit him as he was the first of many to 'flag' it, or first person they found taking the claim to fame.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

          Comment


          • Originally posted by nzradar View Post
            Wasn't it night time? Dark? I'm not convinced a satellite would be able to see down into blackness and pick out an aeroplane. The report doesn't even say when the image was taken, day, time etc.

            Talk about throwing the dog a bone! Media are so gullible.
            I can't imagine the plane is going to be that intact anyway.

            Comment


            • Have a read of some of those ADs. cracking, cracking, cracking, sheering bolts,
              fuel tank fire, another fuel tank fire, cockpit fire. It just goes on.
              This may seem normal for you, but it takes just one of these ADs to not have been
              performed, or performed incorrectly for a catastrophic result. 777 one of the safest planes, yeah right , how about one of the luckiest.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by longpig_yum View Post
                Have a read of some of those ADs. cracking, cracking, cracking, sheering bolts,
                fuel tank fire, another fuel tank fire, cockpit fire. It just goes on.
                This may seem normal for you, but it takes just one of these ADs to not have been
                performed, or performed incorrectly for a catastrophic result. 777 one of the safest planes, yeah right , how about one of the luckiest.
                Ok, had a closer look. See what you mean. Bit of a concern!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by zed View Post
                  Ok, had a closer look. See what you mean. Bit of a concern!
                  You have both overlooked your answer to those alerts already pointed out..

                  Boeing has confirmed that it issued a safety alert in June last year for Boeing 777s, telling airlines to check for cracks in the fuselage around a satellite antenna. The FAA in the US has issued a directive for repairs to be carried out. Boeing says the 777-200ER Malaysia Airlines aircraft did not have that antenna installed and was not subject to the FAA order.
                  Nevermind the fact there is over 1100 of them out there. Doing at least 2 trips in a 72hr period. The numbers you read for failure are quite small in comparison to the wider figures of sucessfull trips made.
                  Last edited by Oblivian; 2014-03-13, 03:16.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

                  Comment


                  • Ok, it didn't have the antenna. that just leaves up to 143 ADs.
                    Including : potentially defective potassium superoxide canisters used in PBE units, which could result in an exothermic reaction and ignition which could result in a fire and possible injury to the flightcrew or other persons.

                    The ADs don't isolate the 777-200ER, they just say :"777-200 series"
                    But damn, there's a lot of them resulting in fire.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                      You have both overlooked your answer to those alerts already pointed out..
                      Nevermind the fact there is over 1100 of them out there. Doing at least 2 trips in a 72hr period. The numbers you read for failure are quite small in comparison to the wider figures of sucessfull trips made.
                      Quite correct. It is all about statistical probability. For instance while it is possible for a double engine failure to occur on a twin jet, the chances are so low within the various ETOPS limits that none of us are likely to ever experience it. Likewise the B777 in all its variants is an extraordinarily safe aircraft based upon twenty years operational experience. Until hard evidence proves otherwise it deserves to retain that reputation. I will happily fly in it any day.

                      Comment


                      • Looking at the last minute in the playback, the altitude goes to zero. Is it possible the altimeter failed? What would happen to a plane flying on auto-pilot in that situation?

                        Comment


                        • need help with some calculations

                          Hi,
                          I don't fly, but I can navigate a boat pretty well.
                          Can somebody who flies help me answer this.
                          Take last known position, 35,000ft
                          Latitude
                          6.97
                          Longitude
                          103.63
                          Heading 040 (basically nil variation in the area, so magnetic or true, it is not a concern)
                          speed 471 knots.....

                          Assume failure to fly from this point, so craft is basically a falling object, with minor lift capability, and plenty of speed.
                          What sort of ft/min loss would the craft have.??
                          Assume a sliding reducing of speed??? what would that be? My guess is about 20knots every 30seconds??

                          The answer I am seeking is how long was it up in the air for, heading 040. With a possible course change to starboard due to jet stream. I can then work out the distance.
                          I think you will find the direction of travel and aspect would fit with the eye witness (oil rig account).
                          The hard thing for the witness would be judging the distance off, due to numerous factors (height of eye, humidity of air, strenght of illumination of target)
                          But the accurate thing is the direction from his aspect, which he obviously used a compass to confirm.

                          A line from his direction is in red, on the attached pic,
                          A line of sea surface current is in yellow. I started it at about 100nm from his position.

                          We can now see if the above calcs, about distance traveled from last known spot, come anywhere. I will do a further calc, once somebody with flying knowledge can help with the time in the air, and speed reduction over time

                          Thanks in advance



                          mh370 poss track.jpg

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jackflash View Post
                            Looking at the last minute in the playback, the altitude goes to zero. Is it possible the altimeter failed? What would happen to a plane flying on auto-pilot in that situation?

                            I don't think the flight radar data relies on the actual planes altimeter for altitude,as for the auto-pilot you have two or three altimeters so for all three to fail is very unlikely.

                            If they did though I'm sure the pilots would be notified by this either visually or by an audible warning sound.

                            These planes are so advanced.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Wull View Post
                              I don't think the flight radar data relies on the actual planes altimeter for altitude,as for the auto-pilot you have two or three altimeters so for all three to fail is very unlikely.

                              If they did though I'm sure the pilots would be notified by this either visually or by an audible warning sound.

                              These planes are so advanced.
                              There are 2 altimeters, the altimeter that is connected to the auto-pilot is also connected to the transponder, so the radar data is the very likely same as what the auto-pilot was getting. My question is, how would the auto-pilot respond?

                              Comment


                              • Ok , unfortunately it seems the debris spotted has not been located at this point in time.

                                I know I am banging on about this ..... and I refer to this article, which information may or may not be correct (http://mh370lost.tumblr.com/?og=1 ). My question is..... 'Is it possible this plane could have flown on autopilot as a ghost plane?' And....does anyone out there have the relevant information/technology as suggested at the bottom of the above article that would give a POSSIBLE location of this plane if this was the case??
                                Last edited by whatsgoingonhere; 2014-03-13, 06:32.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X