This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MW123 View Post
    This latest revelation that the Military tracked the flight 200 miles off course towards the Malacca Strait is very puzzling if it turns out to be correct. I'm beginning to wonder if any of the Indonesian data is to be trusted. I hate to speculate - especially when the families are desperate for information - but I can't understand how even if the plane turned back due to some catastrophic emergency where ALL of its navigational equipment completely failed (simultaneously disrupting the plane's communication and ability for ground radar to track them) that the pilot could end up that far off course. How did it 'evade' Malaysian and Thai radar between the two locations? Even if all the navigational equipment malfunctioned at once, couldn't the pilot use hand held gps devices (available in most smart phones) to get a sense of where they were? The passengers themselves must have even known they were way off course. A pilot with that much experience and simulator time would have probably even known the stars weren't right - and certainly would have known he'd overshot long before an hour of flight time. I'm certain that the military radar equipment is wrong.
    I think there is other technology and other countries information involved in this latest revelation. It's all very weird. I think it is some kind of hijacking.... this is where the jet was tracked to after it was hijacked and turned around...and it could get even more complicated if the hijacking goes not as planned..... crashing the plane way off intended course.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhavlobhuro View Post
      Malaysian military now reveals it tracked MH370 to Malacca straits

Military radar spotted jet far from where it last made contact with civilian air traffic control, Malaysian source says.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3505[/ATTACH]
      This was some kind of hijacking......

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the military official, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.

Comment

• I'm fairly confident it is going to turn out that the military is wrong - that just doesn't make sense (not that anything else does). Even if it were a hijacking, where were they going? How were they competent enough to make the plane vanish one instant, and then veer way off course the next. One would expect that they had a target such as KL. The altitude was lower but only by 1000ft in the report I read. If it went down in the straight of Malacca, why hasn't it been found yet - that it is one of the busiest areas for shipping in the world. Unless it kept right on going?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Petal View Post
          This was some kind of hijacking......

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the military official, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.
          I just happen to see a breaking news in CNN and wolf reported that the news is from a senior Malaysian military officer who is un named and not authorised to communicate in international media. I guess it may be true and pilot suicide is ruled off in this case.

Why on the earth would a pilot travel 1 hour on the scheduled route and turn off the transponder and take a u turn and then commit the suicide by plunging the plan in the bed of mallaca.

possibility of the power shut down and the back up power may last ideally for 1 hour but all communication deveice may not be up using backup and an pilot would have thought to head towards mallaca to the nearest and safe airport as he would have sensed turning back to KL would not be possible with back up power and gliding or ditching the plane would have been ideal because mallaca is busy shipping area where they can get any immediate help..
          Hijacking can also be one possibility but my heart goes on with pilot own decision to fly the plane with backup power and glide to safety away from land to avoid any major incident and possibly ditch the plane in busy shiping malaca area.

Comment

• Forgive me if this has been answered or is a dumb question, but why would you ever want to disable the transponder (or any other communications) on a commercial flight? Furthermore, why would that be allowed by anyone, including the crew? This was a Boeing 777; it must have auxiliary/backup power for lighting and communications. I'm just unclear on how you could simply "lose" an airliner like this.

A NY Times article suggested that it's possible that the transponder may have been damaged. Now, how is that possible? It seems to me you would want that transponder protected at all costs, and maybe there should be redundancies in that system.

Too many plot holes here.
            Last edited by Grid Trekkor; 2014-03-11, 19:02.

Comment

• @chidamg

I'm inclined to think, though, that a glide towards, say, any spot with grass or similar should have been considered as a better choice than the one to plunge the aircraft into the sea.
              What about a swamp? (That could explain why the cell phones are somewhat still working.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grid Trekkor View Post
                Forgive me if this has been answered or is a dumb question, but why would you ever want to disable the transponder (or any other communications) on a commercial flight? Furthermore, why would that be allowed by anyone, including the crew? This was a Boeing 777; it must have auxiliary/backup power for lighting and communications. I'm just unclear on how you could simply "lose" an airliner like this.

A NY Times article suggested that it's possible that the transponder may have been damaged. Now, how is that possible? It seems to me you would want that transponder protected at all costs, and maybe there should be redundancies in that system.

Too many plot holes here.
                I wondered that myself. I was thinking if for some reason you were under attack. Say a ground missile that was tracking the plane with the transponder then turning it off would be a good idea. Other than that kind of scenario of course it should be kept on. If what the military is saying someone on that plane may have wanted to go deliberately undetected because not only was there no transponder they also went to a very low altitude that would help in hiding it from ground to plane radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomJ View Post
                  EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse weapon) could be another possibility, even unlikely, but correct.
                  Yes, I believe it could in fact destroy major electronic systems in the aircraft. We are talking about a directed pulse here, not necessarily noticeable by others in a far distance if it would have been applied very close to the airplane. A pulse like this surely can 'fry' transistors and ICs in the electronics.
                  Wouldn't (shouldn't?) any device powerful enough to destroy the aircraft's electronics be extremely difficult to get on board (i.e., thru security)? Unless, I suppose, it was in the cargo.

1) Explosion (fuel, bomb or cargo)
                  2) Sudden disintegration of aircraft
                  3) Total power loss (all 3 power systems including backup power failed)
                  4) Hijacking by very skilled individuals - Transponder (SQUAWK), ADS-B and ACARS turned off
                  5) Pilot sabotage/suicide - Transponder (SQUAWK), ADS-B and ACARS turned off
                  6) Meteorite impact
                  7) Collision with space debris (re-entering earth orbit)
                  8) Collision with (stealth) military aircraft (military secret)
                  9) Shot down by rocket/missile

(1) There are sensors all over the world that look for explosions (mainly for nuclear detonation detection). Apparently nothing was sensed.

(2) Seems to me that would produce an obvious debris field.

(3) Total power loss? How likely is that?

(4) Aren't most hijackings associated with some terrorism/financial/political demands? It doesn't do you much good to hijack and destroy a plane if you couldn't tell someone about it to make your point.

I think 6 & 7 would also produce debris. 8 and 9 are intriguing possibilities in that they might involve a cover-up.
                  Last edited by Grid Trekkor; 2014-03-11, 19:32.

Comment

• Chat Room not being used for Aviation Chat

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    We normally save data once per minute on cruising altitude. Now we have checked all databases and logs and have manage to reproduce some extra data that was not available first, so we have more or less 2 points per minute for the last minutes. I don't think we will be able to get more data than this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n85w9rvfqxpwza/mh370.PNG
                    I just wanted to point out that it is real shame but the flight radar chat room regulars have been deliberately and methodically stomping on any genuine aviation discussions regarding MH370. With this story being one of the biggest aviation stories in the last decade and fight radar being involved it is disheartening to come here and be shushed and pushed out. Especially when they are not even talking about aviation they are talking about shopping trips and very personal stories. This is a chance to bring new people interested in flight radar here and maybe even new people that would want to set up trackers.

Comment

• We normally save data once per minute on cruising altitude. Now we have checked all databases and logs and have manage to reproduce some extra data that was not available first, so we have more or less 2 points per minute for the last minutes. I don't think we will be able to get more data than this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n85w9rvfqxpwza/mh370.PNG
                      The fact that the heading went from 25 to 28 to 40 in just over a minute -- does that mean anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grid Trekkor View Post
                        The fact that the heading went from 25 to 28 to 40 in just over a minute -- does that mean anything?
                        Was over a waypoint at the time, where nearly all AC in the area make an adjustment to align themselves to enter controlled airspace
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Not jammed but plane can switch off their transponder, like in serious other cases..

Originally posted by smade View Post
                          Could a radar jammer be involved?
                          But satellite would of picked it up right?

Curious.
                          Well putting OFF a transponder in e.g. a high traffic area will be the worst nightmare of traffic control. I guess we should check which is the utmost flying circle of this plane from it's last known position and check if you could reach any country that is currently not under IATA etc.

Comment

• Number 4 and 5:
                            'The Captain was quite using even flight sims on all his free days'; well that is just rumors spread by his colleagues and were meant to indicate having one of the best pilots. But even they can go rogue. It would be the first case if a pilot just hijacks his own plane to land it somewhere and sell it. At least it would have been a case of extremely good preparation. And most radar posts in West Malaysia are 'make shift' radar posts, and the operators told me 'we use it to stop smuggling from ... (Thailand is guesses, as they did not comment). The military suggests it was a little less high but not extremely low...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Petal View Post
                              I just wanted to point out that it is real shame but the flight radar chat room regulars have been deliberately and methodically stomping on any genuine aviation discussions regarding MH370. With this story being one of the biggest aviation stories in the last decade and fight radar being involved it is disheartening to come here and be shushed and pushed out. Especially when they are not even talking about aviation they are talking about shopping trips and very personal stories. This is a chance to bring new people interested in flight radar here and maybe even new people that would want to set up trackers.
                              Because people are dreaming up their own versions of what they think has gone on, without any factual knowledge or know-how to back it up. But simply clutching at straws like everyone else and fuelling an ongoing rolling set of conspiracy stories which lead the next person away from the factual information and so on.

Forgetting this is one of the major sites reported in the media of recent as a SOURCE for information. Regurgitating false information (you will recall Chinese media reporting it landed safe and sound no less than _3_ times before admitting they didn't validate sources first - and all other media outlets followed suit to be sure they weren't "missing out") is not a good idea, as it may well be used as a reporters source.. anyone thought about that. I know I wouldn't want to be known as a source for any of the theories being widely reported then quashed an hour later.

The only people it seems to be bringing in at present, is people in the mindset "its on the internet, it must be true". And name calling, I booted someone last night for constantly referring to "the terrorists will..." And like sheep the next person follows suit.
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by bhavlobhuro View Post
                                Malaysian military now reveals it tracked MH370 to Malacca straits

Military radar spotted jet far from where it last made contact with civilian air traffic control, Malaysian source says.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3505[/ATTACH]
                                Interesting, but it shows the plane turning while it is still over land, so why do we have positive tracking of it to the IGARI waypoint in the middle of the ocean ??? (Backed up by naval radar tracking).
                                This does not smell right to me, but I will leave it to individuals to make up their own minds.
                                Last edited by F-EGLF1; 2014-03-11, 20:57.
                                FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Working...
                                X