Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American flights

Hi all
    Can anybody tell me why a large amount of american airlines going into LHR appear to be miles out on the screen as opposed to other airlines

Originally posted by blondybeer View Post
    Hi all
    Can anybody tell me why a large amount of american airlines going into LHR appear to be miles out on the screen as opposed to other airlines
    Call me thick but I'm a tad confused by your question. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'miles out on the screen'
    Perhaps a couple of examples may help.
    Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-01, 07:33.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Sorry
      What I mean is the aircraft doesn't seem to land anywhere near the runway

Comment

Very good question and I think what you're seeing is this;
        Nearly all modern airliners come with an ADS-B transponder and associated equipment pre installed. Older aircraft however, like the 767 (and many others), have an 'after market' upgrade. Problem is some have an older type of navigation system- Inertial Navigation System (INS) rather than the more advanced GPS used these days and in fact some models originally had none at all. The older INS systems arent as accurate in plotting the exact position of the aircraft and hence you may notice these type of discrepencies.
        Regards,
        Gregg

Either that or I've just wasted 2 hours of my life which I'll never get back watching LHR and seeing all aircraft operating normally.
        Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-01, 08:43.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks for that Gregg
          and you know you really wanted to watch LHR

Andy

Comment

Maybe Gregg didn't see it at LHR but it happens quite often. And not just with American flights, I have seen BA flights trundling through West Drayton and flights landing at Styal instead of Manchester.
            Usually, it happens with B757 and older B767s but, as I was writing this, I could see a BA 747 on the Bath Road at Cranford! (Gone now though).
            As soon as I finished writing this, I can see United B757 N17104 landing slightly north of Manchester airport and turning on to the M56!
            Last edited by Kelvin; 2013-12-02, 07:04.

Comment

Thanks Kelvin - hoped it wasn't just me

Comment

Working...
              X