How to read this lat/long fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to read this lat/long fix

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to decipher the following coordinates into normal lat/long:

36-31-34.740N / 075-30-42.950W

It's supposed to be offshore Atlantic, but I have no idea what each section stands for. Thanks in advance!

Jeff
    VA Beach, VA

Originally posted by packersrule2 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to decipher the following coordinates into normal lat/long:

36-31-34.740N / 075-30-42.950W

It's supposed to be offshore Atlantic, but I have no idea what each section stands for. Thanks in advance!

Jeff
    VA Beach, VA
    Jeff,

After much searching I came across this website for converting United States National Grid (USNG) / Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) to Latitude and Longitude;

Your co-ordinates work out as follows:

Latitude & Longitude
    36.526317 / -75.511931 (Decimal)
    36° 31' 34.74" N / 75° 30' 42.95" W (Degrees/Minutes/Seconds)
    Once you see it written in this manner it becomes obvious. The only real 'conversion' was to express the position in decimal form as well as degrees/minutes/seconds. All I did was to split your figures and enter them into the appropriate section.

Apparently it is the location of a military reporting waypoint (navaid) sth east of Virginia Beach (near Norfolk, Virginia) which by the looks of it seems to be close to your location and is as follows:

Fix Name: KNOTS
    Identifier: KNOTS
    Lat/Long: 36-31-34.740N / 075-30-42.950W (36° 31' 34.74" N / 75° 30' 42.95" W)
    State Name: OFFSHORE ATLANTIC
    Fix Category: Military
    Fix Use: MIL-REP-PT
    ARTCC: ZDC
    Pitch: No
    Catch: No
    Fix/Rad/Dist:
    NTU/135.00/31
    Charts: MILITARY SID

the only map reference to it that I could locate is:
    http://www.fallingrain.com/waypoint/US/KNOTS.html (which isnt much)

Using http://skyvector.com/ maps this seems to place it just inside what looks like restricted airspace 'W-72A' roughly sth of high altitude waypopint 'FUMES' intersecting a line east of waypoint 'KW39Y' (obviously it wont appear on their charts as they are civil, not military). This all may seem far more than what you asked for but I found it an interesting exercise.

Regards and hope this helps,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-03-19, 05:54.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
    X