VH-VJE and VJN: Where do they go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH-VJE and VJN: Where do they go?

Each morning, Dorniers VH-VJE and/or VJN depart Brisbane (Australia) airport and fly west about 100 kms to a point roughly to the east of the Bunya Moutains, then turn around and go back to Brisbane. Anyone know what they're up to? I'm most intrigued as to the purpose of these flights.

Hi Mike:

Thanks for this.

One other question: RAAF KC-30s from Amberley have civil call signs ... but I've never seen any for the C-17s. Both are regularly over us here at Highfields, but only the KC-30s show up on Flightradar. Same with helios from nearly Army Oakey (and never any F-18s). Is there a reason for this?

Comment

Making another trip as I type

Tankers aren't too civil. 'DRAGON' Go from SQN 33 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._33_Squadron_RAAF and I think have to be identified do make sure they are well seen when doing operations in civil airspace. F18s, for obvious reasons have to remain stealth and after refuel at low level often don't fly in commercial airspace

Same with C17, operational movements are classified most cases
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Every 3 months, VH-FIX is in WSSS doing calibration of Instrument Land Systems of Changi, Seletar and Pulau Batam ( Indonesia ) sirports.
        F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by gregozmods View Post
          Each morning, Dorniers VH-VJE and/or VJN depart Brisbane (Australia) airport and fly west about 100 kms to a point roughly to the east of the Bunya Moutains, then turn around and go back to Brisbane. Anyone know what they're up to? I'm most intrigued as to the purpose of these flights.
          I know it's an old thread but just wanted to correct a bit of wrong info. These Dorniers ply between Brisbane and Chinchilla on energy industry business. The reason they seem to disappear is that they are unpressurized and only fly at about 10000 ft, hence they become invisible when they pass behind the Bunya Mountains because there are no FR24 feeders west of the range. BBN1 and one of the two feeders in Toowoomba provide the coverage you see on FR24. Although the planes appear to just turn around and go back, they disappear for a while while they land in Chinchilla then reappear going in the opposite direction at the point where they disappeared. This appears to be a mapping error within FR24 but is neither here nor there in terms of practical importance.

Comment

Not a mapping error. It can't plot what it cant see. As the callsign doesnt change to indicate a to/from flight the entire length of the path is displayed, which happens to fall short of its destination using a similar path.. so it appears as a loop
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              Not a mapping error. It can't plot what it cant see. As the callsign doesnt change to indicate a to/from flight the entire length of the path is displayed, which happens to fall short of its destination using a similar path.. so it appears as a loop
              Yes of course you're right. I've seen the same effect on much larger freight planes that sometimes fly around the world on the same callsign.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
                Yes of course you're right. I've seen the same effect on much larger freight planes that sometimes fly around the world on the same callsign.
                Thanks guys, this makes sense. Also, pity we can't see (over the Pacific and the Indian Oceans, and over the Tasman Sea) the oceanic tracks of aircraft (like Fligh radar shows for those over the Atlantic). Any ideas?

Comment

Most of what can be seen over the Atlantic and northern Pacific comes from the American FAA feed which does not depend on radar exclusively - in fact a lot of info about trans-ocenanic flights comes from radio messages between pilots and various ATC centres around the world. The only way that FR24 coverage could happen in the south Pacific and Indian oceans would be for people to put up feeders on islands. There are suitable habitated islands in parts of the south Pacific but not many in the Indian. There are feeders in Hawaii and New Caledonia (currently not operating) and supposedly one at Fiji but I've never seen anything from it. Someone in another thread suggested Lord Howe and Norfolk islands - would be great for Tasman coverage if anybody in those places is willing and able. There are some interesting flights between Australia, NZ and South America but they fly a great circle route through the southern Pacific and there are almost no habitated islands down there so they also will never be visible on FR24 other then when they arrive and depart from Oz, NZ, Chile and Argentina.

Comment

Hi gregozmods,
                    I agree, I have also become aware of these flights, they fly out west, seem to turn around between Dalby the the Bunya mountains then fly back to BNE, I also have seen them dissapear off the screen then reappear, as I live out in this area I have put my hand up to host one of these FR24 boxes and see if they do land at Chinchilla or turn around in mid air.
                    Early this month I saw one of the VJ* aircraft up in the Darwin area, it was flying backwards and forwards over the sea and bay areas, it's back in BNE now.
                    Photo054.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                      Hi gregozmods,
                      I agree, I have also become aware of these flights, they fly out west, seem to turn around between Dalby the the Bunya mountains then fly back to BNE, I also have seen them dissapear off the screen then reappear, as I live out in this area I have put my hand up to host one of these FR24 boxes and see if they do land at Chinchilla or turn around in mid air.
                      Early this month I saw one of the VJ* aircraft up in the Darwin area, it was flying backwards and forwards over the sea and bay areas, it's back in BNE now.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2822[/ATTACH]
                      Be good if you can put up a feeder in that part of the world. I also live in the district but where I am the skyview is blocked by a nearby grain silo. Those Dorniers definitely land at Chinchilla - I've seen one of them on the ground there. The parallel tracks over NT would most likely be aerial mapping - you can occasionally see similar tracks from other aircraft over Brisbane. Cheers.

Comment

Just seen VJD flying over my place, then went on FR24 and blow me down if I didn't see VJE had just left Dalby AP
                        Photo686.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X