Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct abbreviations

Hello,

I just bought the Mac app and see that speed is measured in Kmph. That should be Km/h!
    Also Adelaide and darwin are in the same time zone, that is only correct for 6 month in the year. Darwin has no summer time!

Cheers Marx

Originally posted by Marx View Post
    Hello,

I just bought the Mac app and see that speed is measured in Kmph. That should be Km/h!
    Also Adelaide and darwin are in the same time zone, that is only correct for 6 month in the year. Darwin has no summer time!

Cheers Marx
    Marx,
    Whilst I have no experience with the apps or any connection with those who develop them I did note the following in checking your post;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometres_per_hour

in which it states "Notation history

Several representations of "kilometres per hour" have been used since the term was introduced and many are still in use today. For example, dictionaries list "km/h", "kmph" and "km/hr" as English abbreviations and the SI representations are 'km/h', 'km h-1' and 'km•h-1' and are classified as symbols.
    "

where SI is the 'International System of Units' (apparently).

"hence the use of "km/h" (or "km h-1" or "km•h-1") has now been adopted around the world in many areas related to health and safety[25] and in legal metrology.[26] It is also the preferred system of measure in academia and in education"

I'm not sure if the app falls within any of these catagories which might require the term 'km/h' to be adhered to.

Whilst you seem to be 100% correct in a regulatory sense (also see the link above under 'Regulatory Use') it would seem any of the common terms are acceptable.

As for the time zone issue Queensland doesnt have Daylight Savings Time either and has in the past during summer caused this little Aussie battler who resides in NSW no end of trouble. I'm not sure that they can do a great deal about developing their apps to allow for DST as it changes from year to year and place to place but you bring up a very interesting topic for discussion. Perhaps it's a good reason to use UTC (Zulu) time as it does on the map which means it's the same time anywhere around the world at any given point in time.

regards,
    gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2012-09-25, 02:17.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Yep!

Hello Gregg,

"hence the use of "km/h" (or "km h-1" or "kmh-1") has now been adopted around the world in many areas related to health and safety[25] and in legal metrology.[26] It is also the preferred system of measure in academia and in education"

In any academic degree there are strict rules of the use of units. Km/h is one of them. Only in countries who have a difficult time to come to terms with the metric system you will find all sorts of incorrect usages. My favoured one is at used car sales places, when cars are advertised with "Low KLMS", with means kilo*Litre*Mitre*Seconds! Another irritating thing are hot / cold temperatures. Temperatures are high or low, but NOT cold or hot.

I'm not sure if the app falls within any of these catagories which might require the term 'km/h' to be adhered to.

As for the time zone issue Queensland doesnt have Daylight Savings Time either and has in the past during summer caused this little Aussie battler who resides in NSW no end of trouble. I'm not sure that they can do a great deal about developing their apps to allow for DST as it changes from year to year and place to place but you bring up a very interesting topic for discussion. Perhaps it's a good reason to use UTC (Zulu) time as it does on the map which means it's the same time anywhere around the world at any given point in time.

In Darwin we can't use the automatic time set on the iPhone because Apple has set us with the South Australian time zone. WRONG!!!

Cheers Marx

Comment

Marx,
        your last sentence seals the deal- it would seem you need to contact apple for that one.

Where I live it's either hot or cold, not high or low (same with the water taps come to think of it)- that would pertain more to describing altitude or elevation. We could continue ad nauseam.

regards,
        gregg
        Last edited by fungus; 2012-09-25, 03:03.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Hello Gregg,

I agree, the water is hot or cold, but not the temperature. How would you measure the temperature of a temperature?
          Same goes for cheap prices. The goods you buy are cheap or expensive, but not their price! Unless you can buy their price?!?

Cheers Marx

Comment

Marx,
            You have a distinct advantage over me. You're obviously intelligent and I'm not. I've never been any good with semantics.
            However, the next time you place your hand on a hotplate and turn it on, tell me (after the expletives) what the first thought is that comes to mind. I'll bet it isnt 'well that's a high temperature.' I guess that's why they're called a hotplate and not a highplate. Or do you wish to rename everything?

As for the prices thing you'd best ask my missus, she's the expert at spending money.

Darwin does have summer time, just not Daylight Savings Time during summer. We have to be so careful with words. Otherwise somebody picks us up on it.
            The end.

regards,
            gregg
            Last edited by fungus; 2012-09-25, 07:39.

Comment

Working...
            X