Ryanair fuel emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryanair fuel emergency

A Ryanair Boeing 737-800, registration EI-DYX performing flight FR-8384 from London Stansted,EN (UK) to Alicante,SP (Spain), was on approach to Alicante's runway 10 but went around due to weather conditions. The crew subsequently attempted an approach to runway 28 but went around again due to winds and decided to divert to Valencia (72nm north of Alicante) declaring PAN being below the final fuel reserve. While on approach to Valencia the crew declared MAYDAY and performed a safe landing on Valencia's runway 12.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

"remaining fuel was measured: 440kg of fuel were found in tank 1 (left hand), 470kg in tank 2 (right hand) and 0kg in center tank."

That is not much fuel. My guess is maybe 10-30 minutes depending on how you fly.

Comment

Typical for the Paddy's., thats why I wouldnt fly with them.
      The cattle truck as they are called in England., even got to
      pay to go to the toilet now.
      (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
      1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

Min arrival fuel should be about 2860kg but the fuel in the wing tanks is also used to cool
        the hydraulics and the levels given are below what is needed for that, just as well they
        got that landing right first time.

Comment

Lucky that this didn't end in disaster. This should never have been a situation where upon they needed to declare a mayday, especially with the back up airport so close and only two 'go-arounds'. I've seen aircraft take 3-4-5 attempts to land. Ryanair eh! You'll have to pay to use the oxygen masks soon, be coin operated like a trolly at a supermarket so only works when you put a pound in, you get it back if the pilots make a successful emergency landing, if they crash they make a small profit.

Comment

Many moons ago an airline called DAN AIR got the nickname 'DAN DARE' because it used to have similar reputation for shall i say saving money, it was one of the early low cost airlines. Somewhere in my photo collection i have a pic of one of there Comets that used to fly out of Manchester.
            Save me trying to find my photo i found a nice pic of one Edinburgh at this site http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image819.html sorry it's slightly of the thread but i just love Comets.
            Last edited by speedbird1960; 2010-05-26, 22:26.
            AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Yeah Dan-Dare were essentially one of the first "low cost" airlines, loved their liveries nonetheless!

Comets are beautiful A/c I think only 707's and Caravelles can rival them in beauty!

Comment

Hey in 1961., I flew with both them aircrafts.
                In January with the Comet, from London to Aden., had to drop in at Cyprus
                (He had Generator problems.,2 free days there)
                Then in April with the Caravelles.,enter through the tail section.,but that was
                a overnight flight from Narobi to London (Man.! was I full P.....)

Dosnt time Fly by...! Guess I must be one of the oldest members of the group.
                ( Any special rates for us...! )
                (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

I flew in 2 of Dan Air's 727s they had 3 I think at the same time as they were still flying Comets,
                  on one flight we landed a long way down the runway I can still remember the seat belts cutting
                  into me as the anchors were thrown out, we often get Nimrods over here on test from Warton
                  although they are a modified Comet they don't look any were near as nice.

Comment

here we go off topic ralph , but if you look at warton on google earth you will see a couple of 146's parked on the apron , they are used as shuttles , the farnborough one normally goes at 7.45 am

have you noticed if they are fitted with ADS-B ? don't suppose the nimrod's are , lol

Comment

I have not seen any thing that comes from Warton show on the screen, but have you noticed the Lightening sat there? last time I was in there there was a small twin radial Lockheed of some description
                      in one of the hangers and you would be surprised how many civil types pass through with strange pods
                      under the wings, also on Google look at Blackpool the Red Arrows are there, my claim to fame is I
                      am most likely the only one alive that as ever driven a live steam engine passed a Airbus wing spar that
                      was being machined at the time,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        A Ryanair Boeing 737-800, registration EI-DYX performing flight FR-8384 from London Stansted,EN (UK) to Alicante,SP (Spain), was on approach to Alicante's runway 10 but went around due to weather conditions. The crew subsequently attempted an approach to runway 28 but went around again due to winds and decided to divert to Valencia (72nm north of Alicante) declaring PAN being below the final fuel reserve. While on approach to Valencia the crew declared MAYDAY and performed a safe landing on Valencia's runway 12.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=42bf38c3&opt=0
                        ?

There is only 1 runway at Alicante airport.

Comment

well so has valencia , but each runway has 2 numbers , the magnetic heading divided by ten
                          eg if the runway heads due north and the aircraft lands in that direction the pilot lands has landed on runway 36 ; if he lands in the other direction he has landed on runway 18

so when you are given the runway number you know the direction of landing [ or take off if applicable ]

so , when the aircraft approaches the pilot then knows which direction to land in

as you see , it means that this aircraft tried to land in alicante travelling towards the sea , and more or less the same at valencia

if there are parallel runways they will be designated right and left

the runways will be marked at the landing end with their number

btw , the uplink showing activity near alicante ....is that you ?

actually , it looks more like it is someone in ibiza with a radius of perhaps 100nm

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
                            ?

There is only 1 runway at Alicante airport.
                            Yeah they tried to app the other end of the runway 10/28.

Runway 12 is Valencia.

Comment

ralph , no I hadn't noticed that lightning sitting there , it doesn't look very active

I did see a programme on the TV recently which showed the performance of this aircraft , especially in vertical climb ; I was so amazed at the performance of this 50 year old machine I have no memory of what the programme was about !

Comment

Working...
                              X