Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight cancellation obligations and notification by carriers

Hi first time poster,

Can someone advise what are a carrier's obligations to their passengers in respect to known flight cancellations and deviations form schedules.

I am flying from Hanoi - Singapore (HAN-SIN) in early April on Vietnam Airlines direct flight VN663
    I know this is still four weeks away - however I've noticed the following suspicious activity about this flight;
    1. Vietnam airlines no longer (*until at least July) lists this flight for ticket sales on their website.
    2. Vietnam airlines *no longer lists any direct flights between HAN-SIN - all flights from Hanoi to Singapore are now via Ho Chi Minh (HAN-SGN-SIN)
    3. A recent screen capture of seat availability on flight VN663 displayed <30% of seats had been allocated.
    4. A recent screen capture of seat availability for flight VN229 (HAN-SGN with same departure time) displays a similar seating allocation.
    5. Changi and Noi Bai airport websites do not have any details for flight VN663 (I know they normally only list details for yesterday/today/tomorrow).
    6. Flight history shows flight VN663 has not travelled between HAN-SIN since 23 February 2020
    Whilst I am sure that Vietnam airlines will notify me in due course of changes to my flight schedule, in the form of an indirect flight via Ho Chi Minh (SGN) or offer a refund, unfortunately this alternative route will add 3.5 to my flight time and interrupt my connections. Even if I'm later offered a refund at the last minute, I may not be able to find an alternative direct flight.

Unfortunately I'm hitting a brick wall trying to talk to Vietnam airlines, as their only advice is that the current status of my flight is confirmed and they can't offer any additional updates at present even though all indications are that flight VN663 will be cancelled and a replacement flight (VN229) will be re-routed via Ho Chi Minh (HAN-SGN-SIN).

What further complicates this mess, is that my ticket was purchased through an agent, so the carrier says they will notify my agent of any updates and my agent advises they don't have any new updates from the airline. Meanwhile flight VN663 continues to be cancelled and i'm stuck with a ticket for a flight that I know is going to be cancelled and for which I will need to scramble to make last minute alternative arrangements.

Anyone experienced anything similar or can offer any advice?
    Last edited by Plebo2000; 2020-03-08, 01:06.

Its global. And you can thank the covid-19

Everyone is cutting back routes. But by the looks your date will be back to normal, or reevaluated

Routes is the home of the world’s leading aviation network development conferences and events. Plus aviation news and features, and profiles of global airlines and airports.

Hanoi – Singapore 17FEB20 – 28MAR20 Reduce from 2 to 1 daily (EXCEPT 12MAR20)
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thank you so much for your response - the link is awesome. As until now the carrier is suggesting that cancellations are only determined and undertaken on a daily basis, this is obviously not true.

Comment

That site has public notifications. But local carriers may evaluate day to day and cancel if uneconomical i guess
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
        X