Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the 2 lights i see at night underneath large planes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the 2 lights i see at night underneath large planes ?

for example a 767 just went over me at about 20k feet https://www.flightradar24.com/SRR6978/2380d6c8 its 125am so pitch black, when i look up i see 2 solid white lights on the underside of the plane so where are they fixed on the plane ? and what for as theyre on the underside ( is it for pilots below them so they can see where planes are above them) thanks

Possibly Landing lights enabled due weather (mount front wing beside body)

Or tail mounted position light

Airliners are loaded with exterior lights. Find out why airplanes have so many lights, what they do, and how pilots use them!
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

i made a video to give an example of what i see at night sorry its a bit shaky ! i will try get a better video in a few days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDde2-pQD2c so what are the 2 bright lights for and mounted where ? thanks

Comment

Pretty likely they're "landing" lights but in reality their purpose is anti-collision. It's very typical for any aircraft to utilize these lights through most altitudes when they are ascending to cruise altitude or descending as they approach their destination. During cruise phase, the forward oriented lights are extinguished and the Nav/Position lights are on. Many, if not most commercial ops also have internal policies that require the crew to utilize the lights that illuminate corporate logos on the vertical stabilizer (tail) which is usually visible (the light, not the logo) from afar when at altitude.

Comment

Those still white lights are aft facing wingtip position lights. Colored one are in front.

Comment

Working...
          X