Aircraft contrails........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AIR_UK View Post
    Mike - Very impressed with your pictures. I'm a big fan of contrails and right now the weather is perfect for contrails due to the very cold conditions.
    Hi AIR_UK,
    Yes, ideal contrail weather! Noticed that the cold easterly winds are acting as headwinds for the transatlantic overfliers with corresponding reduction in speed.
    Here is an MD-11 overflier from 2/2/12.

KLM628 (PH-KCD) - Miami to Amsterdam - at 475knots/37000ft above north Anglesey (data from fr24):

Comment

Mike - Stunning photo's there.I'm trying to do the same using a Canon 1000D with a Tamron 70 - 300m zoom lens.
      Presumably you have seen this website.

Comment

Originally posted by AIR_UK View Post
        Mike - Stunning photo's there.I'm trying to do the same using a Canon 1000D with a Tamron 70 - 300m zoom lens.
        Presumably you have seen this website.
        http://www.skystef.be/contrail.htm
        Thanks for the link - some incredible photos there!

Comment

The A380 is in the news right now.

This one went over north Anglesey on 7/2/12.

UAE202 (A6-EDE) - New York (JFK) to Dubai - at 490knots/36000ft (data from fr24):

Does anyone know what those two blisters on the wing are - where it joins the fuselage?
          Last edited by Mike Griffiths; 2012-02-09, 15:27.

Comment

Superb photos Mike, thanks for taking time to post them on here.

Here's one i stumbled on while i was posting on the AIB thread, amazing detail for 41500 ft.
            © M.Sil.
            AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Those photos are great Mike,hope to spend some time at the weekend taking some photos myself. Probably going to have to invest in a longer lens, or go down the digiscoping route perhaps.
              With respect to the "blisters" you mentioned,having searched the net for some close up pictures of underneath the wing,it looks like they are just part of wing structure.

Comment

Mike. Do you use autofocus or just set the lens to infinity? My Sigma 170~500mm is terribly finicky about what it focuses on.
                Where's the profit in world peace? Or a cure for the common cold?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfynche View Post
                  Mike. Do you use autofocus or just set the lens to infinity? My Sigma 170~500mm is terribly finicky about what it focuses on.
                  Hi Goldfynche,
                  I always use AF.
                  I suspect your lens aperture at 500mm will be less than f5.6 so AF may not work properly and you have to reduce to maybe 400mm to get AF to kick in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Griffiths View Post
                    Does anyone know what those two blisters on the wing are - where it joins the fuselage?
                    Cracks?
                    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Chile based LAN Cargo has been in the news recently as the last link between the Falkland Islands and the South American mainland which Argentina wish to stop.

LAN Cargo flight shown here eastbound passing over Anglesey on 1/2/12.

LCO1502(N774LA) - Miami to Amsterdam - at 445knots/33000ft (data from fr24):

Comment

Singapore Airlines SIA21 is reputed to be the longest non-stop flight in the world.

SIA21(9V-SGE) - New York (Newark) to Singapore - at 490knots/35000ft on 7/2/12 (data from fr24):

Last edited by Mike Griffiths; 2012-02-14, 20:36.

Comment

An MD-11F owned by Martinair Holland Cargo passing over on 7/2/12.

MPH064(PH-MCU) - Puerto Rico to Amsterdam - at 485knots/33000ft (data from fr24):

Comment

Hello all,

My name is Jake,and I am from Belfast, United Kigdom.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have found myself continually refreshing and visiting this very topic to see if there are any new photos or advice - the reason I have resorted to posting.

I want to be able to shoot some nice photos just like all on this topic, but I keep finding my photos to turn out to be a lower standard from those on the forum, not what I am looking for.

So can anyone give me any advice to taking pictures of high and fast moving aircraft as they pass by, maybe information such as shooting settings would be greatly useful to me.

My current camera is a Panasonic FZ45 - A fairly good camera, with very good optical zoom (24x which can extend further) I do not use a tripod, therefore that is a good reason as to why my photos are not turning out exactly perfect, but I have ordered one online, and it should be with me on Monday.

I am looking forward to reading your advice,

Thanks all,

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Lewis View Post
                              Hello all,

My name is Jake,and I am from Belfast, United Kigdom.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have found myself continually refreshing and visiting this very topic to see if there are any new photos or advice - the reason I have resorted to posting.

I want to be able to shoot some nice photos just like all on this topic, but I keep finding my photos to turn out to be a lower standard from those on the forum, not what I am looking for.

So can anyone give me any advice to taking pictures of high and fast moving aircraft as they pass by, maybe information such as shooting settings would be greatly useful to me.

My current camera is a Panasonic FZ45 - A fairly good camera, with very good optical zoom (24x which can extend further) I do not use a tripod, therefore that is a good reason as to why my photos are not turning out exactly perfect, but I have ordered one online, and it should be with me on Monday.

I am looking forward to reading your advice,

Thanks all,

Jake

Hi Jake,

As well as AF you need either IS or smooth pan and tilt tripod with of course zoom set at longest focal length.
                              Failing that try fast shutter speed (ie Tv - shutter priority AE mode) of at least 1/2000th second - pictures might be bit grainy but you should get something.
                              Best of luck.
                              Last edited by Mike Griffiths; 2012-02-19, 10:29.

Comment

Martinair Holland MPH064 (PH-MCP) - Puerto Rico to Amsterdam - at 490knots/33000ft (data from fr24) on 21/2/12:

Comment

Working...
                                X