SBS-1 crash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS-1 crash!

I have one problem with my SBS-1 reciever.
    When the reciever has been online for some time, it just hangs. Even if I reboot my computer I have the same problem. I have to shut down the SBS-1 box manually.

Any ideas on how to avoid this?

I have the same problem with my SBS-1, after about 4-6 weeks the USB-port just stops working. I have found a sollution, to re-flash the firmware with the same software. Seems a bit risky to re-flash the SBS-1 every 5 week, so i'm looking for a better sollution.

Comment

there is new software that stops the sbs giving 5 minute delay on 3rd party data too

Comment

Check your Power Saver options as there is one to allow the USB to go to sleep.
        Disable that feature.

Comment

I suggest you check your antivirus software

If your PC scans Basestation at the same time as yoou are trying to write to basestation it can hang.
          My SBS has been on a basic PC for 2 years without hanging and only reboot was when I upgraded to version 146

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisg0wtz View Post
            I suggest you check your antivirus software

If your PC scans Basestation at the same time as yoou are trying to write to basestation it can hang.
            My SBS has been on a basic PC for 2 years without hanging and only reboot was when I upgraded to version 146

Regards
            I'm not running any antivirus software on my radar computes, and all of them keeps crashing once a month.

Comment

What software version and box are you running..?
              Have you tried posting on the Kenitic forum ? http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/
              They have excellent support as does..

Comment

Originally posted by Smudger98 View Post
                What software version and box are you running..?
                Have you tried posting on the Kenitic forum ? http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/
                They have excellent support as does..
                http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php
                I'm using SBS-1, SBS-1e, SBS-1er with all combination of firmwares and software. I have posted on kenetic forum and received no help.
                The support is NOT excellent, neither from AirNav or from Kenitic. The best thing they can do is write SPAM and talk BULLSHIT.

Comment

Try the RS site.. chap there can remote access in and check the setting if you want.. he sorted mine out when i made some changes and got into a pickle..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    I'm using SBS-1, SBS-1e, SBS-er with all combination of firmwares and software. I have posted on kenetic forum and received no help.
                    I use the Kinetic forum everyday and I didn't see any post there that wasn't answered?

USB is not the most reliable connection and a few people report dropouts, both for the SBS-1 and RadarBox.

I use ethernet and get about one disconnect a year and my Basestation is running 24x7. When it happens I just restart Basestation and all is well.

What you're doing is extreme to say the least and not what I'd be wanting to do everytime I lost a connection.
                    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Here is my thread on Kenitic forum. http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/fo...hp?f=1&t=10511 I get recommendation to run through Ethernet, problem is that on some of my SBS-1er Ethernet is not working. For example I have setup an receiver on Vilnius Airport's roof. After trying for 5 hours with connecting on the Ethernet port without success, I had to leave it with USB connection. So now it crashes once a month.

I have seen on Kenitic forum that the Ethernet connection problem is quite common too. I have seen that Chrisg0wtz can connect remotely to fix the Ethernet problem, but it doesn't help we when I have receivers on Greenland and Lithuania connected through USB, and it cost me lots of money to fly there to reconnect the cables.

If Kenitic have a problem with USB and recommend to use Ethernet, then Kenitic should test all boxes before shipment to check that Ethernet works. I'm REALLY disappointed with ML&S/Kenitic support!

The total amount of unanswered email from me to Chris is now above 10, it's a joke to call it "support".

Comment

Thats some history you have there for this Mike... Phew...

Comment

Thanks for the link Mike.

To be fair many responded and Threemiles did recommend a possible solution. But nowhere in that thread do you say that you have to reflash the firmware?

I'm not going to defend Chris or Kinetic, but you may have "pushed" the boundaries with your setup.

I guess the SBS-1, RadarBox, PlaneGadget and Aurora are designed for enthusiast use. You have choosen to set up a network of receivers in remote, unattended locations. Maybe before doing so you could have spoken to the distributor/manufacturer and asked if such a setup would be advisable?

As for ethernet, the only problems I've encountered with other SBS-1 customers is local network IP address compatibility and, on very rare occasions, the need to reprogram the ethernet module, which can be handled remotely.

As Threemiles posted in response to yours:

It is either the FTDi USB device that crashes after an EMV spike or it is the internal circutry (FPGA) that produces some kind of counter dependant error.

Repowering the SBS usually helps, but sometimes also the Windows USB hardware interface gets screwed up, so the PC must be restarted. The latter would not be necessary with the SBS1e.

On remote unmanned sites I would recommend to shield the unit to avoid exposure to any kind of radiation. UPS itself does not clean the power supply from heavy spikes as from lightning.

radarfan's problem can be resolved by the usage of a remote network mains interface like this one:

(Sorry, couldn't find in English)

Did you try this?
                          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Reflash the firmware is an new "solution" I found out 2-3 months ago when Vilnius Airport radar crashed and there was no one who could restart the power. The Kinetic thread is a lot older. Maybe running 24/7 is pushing the limit, maybe Kinetic should inform that "this product cannot be used 24/7". The fact is that problems remains. Out of 10 SBS-1er that I have bought 3 don't work with Ethernet. You call it "rare occasions", I call it 30%. The Ethernet power switch is a solution I have used on radar in Poland for 3 years, but then you need to have a public IP. Some of our radars, like Vilnius do not have a public IP. I'm also using GSM/SMS power switches on some radars, but then you have to remember to refill the prepaid GSM card. No matter if I use a Ethernet or GSM power switch that costs a lot of extra money.

The best solution would be that Kientic can release an official reset tool, that can reset the USB in case of crash, if they cannot stop the crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Out of 10 SBS-1er that I have bought 3 don't work with Ethernet. You call it "rare occasions", I call it 30%.
                              Do you want me to take a look at these three?

I have no idea how many SBS-1e(r) have been sold and how many of these are used with ethernet connection. All I know is there are very few posts saying it doesn't work and all those that I've seen have been fixed, either by local IP setup or (for me very rare) reprogramming the ethenet module, remotely.
                              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X