Radio FRequencies ... aircraft approaching Heathrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio FRequencies ... aircraft approaching Heathrow

I'll be visiting Chingford next week for a couple of days, so I might sneak my scanner into the car (while my wife is busy)

I see on FR24 this evening that planes fly almost directly overhead, so which would be the best frequency to put my radio on. (My wife would probably prefer the Selfridges frequency)

Many thanks !

wbmkk,

I found this site for Heathrow on the net:

It seems to show not only the frequencies but what they are used for. I cant vouch for them as I'm in Australia. There are many other helpful sites on the net if you require them. Before FR24 came along I programmed all the local (Sydney) frequencies into my scanner and just listened in order to work out where the aircraft were and what frequencies applied to what area. It takes some time but is very rewarding. Failing that, the local pilot shop will likely have maps with the frequencies on them (they used to over here).

One word of caution though, ATC can 'couple' frequencies together (for example in quiet periods) so there may be some variation to 'the norm.'

The following may also be helpful:

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2014-11-21, 22:11.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by wbmkk View Post
      I'll be visiting Chingford next week for a couple of days, so I might sneak my scanner into the car (while my wife is busy)

I see on FR24 this evening that planes fly almost directly overhead, so which would be the best frequency to put my radio on. (My wife would probably prefer the Selfridges frequency)

Many thanks !
      Do you mean that with the standard radio in your car you'll be able to hear on-board talks? This looks a bit doubtful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorob View Post
        Do you mean that with the standard radio in your car you'll be able to hear on-board talks? This looks a bit doubtful to me.
        Anorob,

A 'scanner' is a far cry from a standard in car AM/FM radio which wbmkk is discussing 'sneaking into his car' and it's not at all doubtful that, with the correct frequencies, he'll be able to listen to ATC with it.

Regards,
        Gregg
        Last edited by fungus; 2014-11-22, 21:01.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
        X