X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AircraftSpotterPH View Post
    My ip address starts with 192.
    F-RPLL2 is now online
    I think that your Private or Local IP Address. try use Speedtest and youll see your own Public IP Address Assign by your ISP
    RPVO1

Comment

• Originally posted by davaospotter View Post
      John,

I just used the small coax cable, didn't bother using the lightning arrester and LMR400 Cable. Thanks for the heads up.

davaospotter you are playing with the big boys now on their dime and they have engineered their systems to perform with the materials they sent you. If you were playing with a dongle experimenting with home made antennas and preamps etc that would be ok because that is out of your own pocket but they entrusted you with their professional systems to receive all the data the system is capable of. These systems were put together by real engineers and the typical seat of the pants "engineers" like you and I are not going to make them better.

Quit procrastinating and put up a guyed mast so that the antennas are above the trees and use all of the materials they entrusted you with. If running ethernet wire through the house or office is a problem use a powerline ethernet adapter that uses housewiring for ethernet. CDRKing has them for P1500 a pair. If you must mount your receiver on the mast use a weatherproof box and include a receptacle for the power supply and the powerline ethernet adapter. You can put several receivers in the same box.

That lightning arrester was included for a purpose. Zamboangaradar has had several lightning strikes due to the fact he started out using bamboo for a mast. FR24 and FlightFinder don't provide them because they are dealing with recipients who know the hazards of lightning and the necessity of providing an earth grounded mast. Over time GI pipe will rust and insulate the joints so cap the antenna end so water won't full up the pipe and accelerate the process and run a ground wire from the antenna bracket U bolts to earth ground.

You mentioned you thought the FlightAware receiver was more sensitive. Here is a real time picture of 3 systems below, each labeled.
      Good Luck in your installation.

John
      F-RPVD1
      Dumaguete

Comment

• John,

For the record I only mentioned that FlightAware's antenna was more sensitive compared to FR24 in tracking planes. I was not referring to the Feeders.

Cheers!
        Last edited by davaospotter; 2014-12-27, 09:53.

Alvin O.
        F-RPWD2
        Metro Davao

Comment

• Originally posted by AircraftSpotterPH View Post
          My ip address starts with 192.
          F-RPLL2 is now online

Noel,

Use this to determine if the assigned IP-ADD is static or dynamic. 192.168.xx.xx is your local IP-ADD from the router.

DSL Modem (Static or Dynamic IP) ---> Router (NAT) (Local IP) ---> PC

Alvin O.
          F-RPWD2
          Metro Davao

Comment

• What is the "FlightFinder" receiver?
            Who is sending out that equipment?
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Thanks for the info.

Didn't know they were using the 'beaglebone black' & 'Kinetic 1090 puck' in their boxes now.

Was just asking because it wasn't very clear in the screenshot on the other post.
              The middle and rightside is both FlightAware boxes.

I can only find 'FlightFeeder' on that Flightaware website.
              Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-12-27, 11:29.
              Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
              [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Originally posted by davaospotter View Post
                John,

For the record I only mentioned that FlightAware's antenna was more sensitive compared to FR24 in tracking planes. I was not referring to the Feeders.

Cheers!
                Hi,

I wouldnt say that "they" have a better antenna. We do however use different decoder software for decoding the ADS-B signals. Flightradar24 requires 3 concurrent positions from an aircraft before showing it on our website, Flightaware might only require one or two. That would make it seem like they have better antennas, when in fact it means that we require higher quality of the signal before using it.

So why are we doing this? The first positions we receive usually comes from the edge of the coverage of the receiver, the signal quality is often bad, and it happens that we decode the wrong position because of this. That is why we wait for three confirmed positions before using the data.

Its about quality of service really. It is however possible that we can improve our decoder in the future.

Comment

• Hi,

I posted this evaluation based on the following observation. Note antennas was placed on the same height (30 meters)

Setup A
                  FR24 + FR24 Antenna
                  - starts tracking planes at closer distance, as far 30nm

Setup B
                  FR24 + FlightAware Antenna
                  - starts tracking planes at further distance, as far as 86nm

Anyway these are just preliminary observation and is subject for correction.

Thanks

Alvin O.
                  F-RPWD2
                  Metro Davao

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                    Thanks for the info.

Didn't know they were using the 'beaglebone black' & 'Kinetic 1090 puck' in their boxes now.

Was just asking because it wasn't very clear in the screenshot on the other post.
                    The middle and rightside is both FlightAware boxes.

I can only find 'FlightFeeder' on that Flightaware website.
                    The new feeders they are sending out contains the following hardware

Raspberry PI + NUAND ( http://nuand.com/ )
                    Last edited by davaospotter; 2014-12-27, 11:57.

Alvin O.
                    F-RPWD2
                    Metro Davao

Comment

• The info in the right screenshot doesn't say 'Raspberry PI'.

Was looking for the info on 'FlightFinder' with Beaglebone Black.
                      Maybe it's not FlightAware box and could it be from Planefinder?

Any direct link to this FlightFinder box with info on it. Since it would be the first one to use the Beaglebone Black.

The FR24 boxes use Beaglebone White.

Thanks for the info on the NUAND
                      Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-12-27, 12:08.
                      Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

• The FR24 box is equipped with BB Black since a couple of weeks.

Comment

• Maybe that's the older Feeders from FlightAware . . . .that I cannot confirm, better ask John.
                          What I have is the newer Feeder (Raspberry + NUAND)

Alvin O.
                          F-RPWD2
                          Metro Davao

Comment

• Thanks Mike
                            Didn't know the FR24 Beaglebone black version was being sent out already.
                            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

• Also lightning protection is built in on antenna port from serial number 500. The biggest lightning issue today is actually not the antenna but the network port of BB. I would estimate 90% of lightning damages are network port and 10% antenna port.

Comment

• Dave,
                                I think FlightAware had only called their boxes "FlightFeeder" since day one.

Left = FR24
                                Middle = FlightAware
                                Right = ? (Who's box is that) going by the name of 'FlightFinder'.
                                Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

Working...
                                X