Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playback

Has playback been removed for good or just till the fuss over the downed plane died down.
    Since FR24 been mentioned on national news running very slow,hope it improves once above happens.

John in Seaford

It has been removed for capacity issues. We had a completely new and better playback ready that was supposed to be released yesterday. We have postponed the release a couple of days until things will calm down. We are now working on getting more servers connected.

Comment

Thanks for info,guessed it was that.

John

Comment

Mike,

Is there anywhere you have a thread that tells of the status of what's going on? Maybe you have ,but i can't find it.

One would be useful to keep abreast of the updates and any service problems.

It would save all these "what's happening to......" type questions.

Just an idea.

Rob

Comment

Obviously no-one read the previous post.

Also now all the "improvements" should have been completed, according to the posted schedule. Is there anywhere that tells us what the are, or do we suddenly find something not as before and ask? I see the grey boxes are still in evidence, the map background has changed and playback is now limited.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mezzoman View Post
            Obviously no-one read the previous post.

Also now all the "improvements" should have been completed, according to the posted schedule. Is there anywhere that tells us what the are, or do we suddenly find something not as before and ask? I see the grey boxes are still in evidence, the map background has changed and playback is now limited.

Rob
            More likely no-one who could answer - wanted to do so.

Comment

Not sure if I understand the discussion. Playback was removed when thread was opened. 3-4 days later the new version was put live with the new design, more features is faster and smother. So what is the question now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Playback was removed when thread was opened. 3-4 days later the new version was put live with the new design, more features is faster and smother. So what is the question now?
                I believe you have now answered part of the intended question - relating to your first reply in this thread where you reported there was changes planned to be made shortly after the disablement. He is wanting to know what the changes that have been made are.

I can't seem to find any visible follow up anywhere (unless I'm blind too) to confirm the adjustments made with that update.
                - No clear indicator after the thread was started (I've even only just discovered some of the additional options myself). Similarly to the appearance of 3rd party track lines with clickable areas showing historic data.

Understanding some changes may be commercially sensitive, but I can see how some update transparency to released dates/changes pushed to the likes of the twitter/fb feeds at least could be handy - at the very least to entice irregular visitors back to check out the new changes.

For instance maybe..

3/9/14 - Feature update planned for this month/week

followed later with

20/9/17 - Feature update applied. Changes: new 'xxx' option to premium. Fixed slider bars experienced in track details in chrome

Realise there is a lot of work that often goes into recoding what may appear simple to the front end and be complex in the back end, and contain a tonne of adjustments. But the core ones that affect viewing enhancements perhaps?

So the peultimate question I think is being asked:

Can there please be announcements made when changes have been planned and applied at the very least. And even more appealing to have major additions mentioned specifically.
                (I can think of users who don't visit the forums, and only visit the page but do not explore or even know about the clickable/selectable options will likely be missing out on features - unless such things as 'playback is disabled' does not appear on the page via the feed window, who's to know..)
                Last edited by Oblivian; 2014-10-02, 22:56.
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  Can there please be announcements made when changes have been planned and applied at the very least.

Good idea. In fact I think we could call them....

..."Release Notes"

Other businesses could adopt a similar policy.
                  Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Playback - In this case the release was quite obvious I think.

Going from this

MH370_9M_MRO_Lost_SCreenshot.jpg

to this

v45mdy.jpg

is a quite big difference.

Release notes

Yes I agree that this a good thing and we have it internally, but for users this may be quite cryptic. My guess is also that this would create more questions that it would give answer. We normally communicate bigger changes, but we will evaluate if there is something more we can do.

Example of change log from 24 sep

Highlights since current production release 1.1.0.9:
                    - Enable dynamic map module loading
                    - Automatically scale map refresh based on feed server load
                    - Switch to ajax with fallback to jsonp
                    - Fixes for some broken urls
                    - Allow filters to be passed directly to the module ( with support for multi-filtering )
                    - Updated flights history pages based of the new api
                    - Optimising flights lookup sql query
                    - Added "about" url to mobile settings
                    - Fix for "double refresh" on selected aircraft
                    - Tweak to airport page column widths

Comment

Release notes

Yes I agree that this a good thing and we have it internally, but for users this may be quite cryptic. My guess is also that this would create more questions that it would give answer. We normally communicate bigger changes, but we will evaluate if there is something more we can do.

Example of change log from 24 sep
                      From the example, a cut-down version of those would go a treat:

Highlights since current production release 1.1.0.9:

- Fixes for some broken urls
                      - Added "about" url to mobile settings
                      - Fix for "double refresh" on selected aircraft
                      - Tweak to airport page column widths

The 'techo' stuff can be summarised
                      - Enable dynamic map module loading

- Automatically scale map refresh based on feed server load
                      optimised map loading based on view area

could be left out or may lead to questions from non tehnicals
                      - Switch to ajax with fallback to jsonp
                      - Allow filters to be passed directly to the module ( with support for multi-filtering )
                      - Updated flights history pages based of the new api

- Optimising flights lookup sql query
                      Optimised flight lookup method to increase efficiency

But also of use would have been
                      '3rd party data added to flights in some out-of-cover areas (represented as grey dashes on map'
                      'added clickable regions of track log to display historic info in-flight premium
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Release notes

Yes I agree that this a good thing and we have it internally, but for users this may be quite cryptic.
                        There's a difference between internal, technical "release notes" and those for public consumption.

Surely if you've invested in enhancing a product you should advertise the changes and improvements. Your competitors do.
                        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can anyone confirm that playback is now available for premium users of Flightradar 24? And if so, how far can you go back in time?

Comment

one month, interesting older flights are here http://www.flightradar24.com/data/pinned/
                            For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Working...
                            X