X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by longpig_yum View Post
    Most plane crashes are the result of the Domino theory, where lots of
    small failures add up to one big one.
    I still think fire could have disabled the comms and incapacitated the pilots.
    I don't think anyone can predict how a bunch of melted wiring would effect
    a plane. Don't forget it was 01:30 AM. The pilots could have gone from
    half asleep to sudden panic.
    I still think there will be an AHAA moment when they find the black box and say
    "Oh we didn't think THAT could happen" Chaos theory proves unpredictable results.
    All this takeover and hijack theories are just a lit bit too James Bond and cloak and dagger for me.
    Take out over 200 multinational people and you are going to hated and vilified the world over.
    I sort of agree with you. It just seems too out there for the plane to have been hijacked. A fire is a possibility and would explain away things such as the transponder & ACARS going offline, but it still leaves a lot of questions.. why did the plane change direction multiple times, how was it able to climb, then drop, then level off, then climb again. Why did it not head back to KL? How was it possible that a fire was able to disable all the crew & pax yet the plane was still fit to fly for another 8 hours?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambridge
      has everyone stopped using tomnod.com or is anyone still searching for the plane ? #mh370
      Personally I keep searching, though I guess a lot of people think the plane is on the ground, runway or stuff, somewhere...

Comment

• Could be, I'm of the thought that MH370 is on dry land somewhere. Couldn't say where. I'd hazard a guess at Kazakhstan personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by zed View Post
          I sort of agree with you. It just seems too out there for the plane to have been hijacked. A fire is a possibility and would explain away things such as the transponder & ACARS going offline, but it still leaves a lot of questions.. why did the plane change direction multiple times, how was it able to climb, then drop, then level off, then climb again. Why did it not head back to KL? How was it possible that a fire was able to disable all the crew & pax yet the plane was still fit to fly for another 8 hours?
          Exactly. Good questions. First I would want independent corroboration of the radar data to confirm once and for
          all what was its course. Next I would really like some Boeing engineers to analyze this and give a professional informed opinion of whether the plane could behave in that matter or would it definitely require human intervention.
          Not forgetting that engineers build planes to work. I think it would be extremely hard for them to predict what could happen when a number of systems have been damaged or fused together. I believe that the autopilot was activated,
          but may have been receiving erratic data from the planes sensors.
          The humans have been scrutinized enough. What happened to the maintenance records of this plane. Has anyone looked at what work has been carried out. Or Not carried out. ?

Comment

mh370 spotted flying low over maldives http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...lying-jet.html
            Debunked already

That image was from a base layer tile satellite image of a mapping company from 2009 - the searcher was out of the area that had been updated with new map tiles - see same region on google earth, lots of changes on the ground/new buildings since then
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Finally. A rational opinion.

Comment

what are you talking about...the link i posted was about people in the maldives saying they saw a low flying jet, why are you talking about satellite images ? think your replying to wrong post !!
                Sorry, I couldn't open your link at the time.

Other articles are using that claim (seen in Maldives) along side the latest 'I found it!' claims as backing each other up

[Update: The plane only exists in the MapBox base layer, which dates from at least 2012 or earlier. It is not a current image, and hence does not show MH370 - See following posts for details] As a part of the crowd sourced initiative to find the missing plane, I was going through some of...

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• First- thank you to all the professionals on here who have shared their expertise regarding this tragic situation. My heart goes out to all of the family members out there struggling to find answers on their loved ones.

I have been reading this thread since day 2, and have a terrible feeling that if no floating debris is discovered, indicating a potential crash site, that the aircraft may never be found in the depths of the Indian Ocean.

If a 777 were carefully ditched in the ocean, intact, does anyone know approximately how long it would take to sink?

Would it be possible that the pings could still be transmitted from a floating aircraft until power to the engines went off completely?

I keep thinking of Andy Pasztor's WSJ article from Mar 14th when we first learned the technical nature of the pings.

"Malaysia Airlines' missing jet transmitted its location repeatedly to satellites over the course of five hours after it disappeared from radar, people briefed on the matter said... The final ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a normal cruising altitude."

Note, at that time the 'final ping' was referring to the one in the FIFTH hour, as it wasn't until later that we found out it actually transmitted until 8:11- another few hours later. Could the final few pings have been transmitted from a ditched floating plane?

If so, the left turn and flight path through the Strait may have been a strategy to disappear from radar with the appearances of a course to the NW, whilst then heading South to deeper waters. This false trail may have allotted enough time for the plane to sink -intact- before SAR even knew about the turn South. Inducing hypoxia would ensure no life rafts would be deployed by crew or PAX.

Also mentioned in the same article:

"the U.S. planned to move surveillance planes into an area of the Indian Ocean 1,000 miles or more west of the Malay peninsula"

and

"Among the possible scenarios investigators said they are now considering is whether the jet may have landed at any point during the five-hour period under scrutiny, or whether it ultimately crashed."

It would appear that as of 4 days ago, the US was able to derive the two satellite arcs and may have had information indicating the plane could have been stationary for a period of time- either near the North arc (indicating landing) or the South arc (possibly indicating intact ditching in the ocean.). Given the focus of the search the past two days I guess they're leaning towards the ocean option.

I don't want to speculate on who may have been flying, but if it were indeed towards the South, it would seem likely a suicide mission unless a boat was waiting on the other end.

Comment

• Originally posted by oriondt View Post
                    First- thank you to all the professionals on here who have shared their expertise regarding this tragic situation. My heart goes out to all of the family members out there struggling to find answers on their loved ones.

I have been reading this thread since day 2, and have a terrible feeling that if no floating debris is discovered, indicating a potential crash site, that the aircraft may never be found in the depths of the Indian Ocean.

If a 777 were carefully ditched in the ocean, intact, does anyone know approximately how long it would take to sink?

Would it be possible that the pings could still be transmitted from a floating aircraft until power to the engines went off completely?

I keep thinking of Andy Pasztor's WSJ article from Mar 14th when we first learned the technical nature of the pings.

"Malaysia Airlines' missing jet transmitted its location repeatedly to satellites over the course of five hours after it disappeared from radar, people briefed on the matter said... The final ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a normal cruising altitude."

Note, at that time the 'final ping' was referring to the one in the FIFTH hour, as it wasn't until later that we found out it actually transmitted until 8:11- another few hours later. Could the final few pings have been transmitted from a ditched floating plane?

If so, the left turn and flight path through the Strait may have been a strategy to disappear from radar with the appearances of a course to the NW, whilst then heading South to deeper waters. This false trail may have allotted enough time for the plane to sink -intact- before SAR even knew about the turn South. Inducing hypoxia would ensure no life rafts would be deployed by crew or PAX.

Also mentioned in the same article:

"the U.S. planned to move surveillance planes into an area of the Indian Ocean 1,000 miles or more west of the Malay peninsula"

and

"Among the possible scenarios investigators said they are now considering is whether the jet may have landed at any point during the five-hour period under scrutiny, or whether it ultimately crashed."

It would appear that as of 4 days ago, the US was able to derive the two satellite arcs and may have had information indicating the plane could have been stationary for a period of time- either near the North arc (indicating landing) or the South arc (possibly indicating intact ditching in the ocean.). Given the focus of the search the past two days I guess they're leaning towards the ocean option.

I don't want to speculate on who may have been flying, but if it were indeed towards the South, it would seem likely a suicide mission unless a boat was waiting on the other end.
                    A highly pressurized sealed aircraft would probably float for a fair amount of time but as soon as it hits the water the doors would be opened so people can escape before it sinks. We're talking minutes not hours, see US Airways Flight 1549 where the pilot executed a picture perfect water ditching in an outstanding display of airmanship. It would have been incredibly difficult for MH370 to have executed such a manoeuvre with any degree of accuracy in the dead of a moonless night with possible damage to navigational avionics. The engines will not be able to provide any power whilst submerged in the water as they are dependant on oxygen, there are backup systems to provide such power but its unlikely they would be utilized AFTER successful ditching given that that plane is about to sink completely and plunge to the depths of the ocean. I believe it to be extremely unlikely that any of these ping's were relayed from a temporarily floating aircraft bereft of electrical power.

Given KNOWN facts, this scenario looks extremely unlikely.
                    Last edited by iazoniccc; 2014-03-19, 02:22.

Comment

• I posted this previously; and I know one gets tired of looking at posted links over and over but....... this article was written before the disappearance of MH370 (February, 24 2014) and I found it interesting. If nothing else; for the obvious incompetence of .........someone. One has to also wonder about the MAS fleet and IF lack of maintenance could be a factor here. I'm sure someone is going to be investigating the finances here.
                      Free Malaysia Today is an Independent, unbiased Malaysian news in English/Malay, providing 24/7 coverage since 2009.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatsgoingonhere View Post
                        I posted this previously; and I know one gets tired of looking at posted links over and over but....... this article was written before the disappearance of MH370 (February, 24 2014) and I found it interesting. If nothing else; for the obvious incompetence of .........someone. One has to also wonder about the MAS fleet and IF lack of maintenance could be a factor here. I'm sure someone is going to be investigating the finances here.
                        http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...lout-continue/
                        Link doesn't work buddy. Whatever maintenance issue it is your thinking could not have been so serious as to stop the aircraft being powered up and relaying satellite communications until at least 8:11am.
                        Last edited by iazoniccc; 2014-03-19, 02:43.

Comment

• Also I think the airplane on the ground, used some pirate track and this camouflaged somewhere.

Comment

• The link you want is

Should MAS bailout continue?
                            February 24, 2014
                            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Originally posted by longpig_yum View Post
                              From the article "However, his theory has been discredited by other aviation experts who said that even in a situation like that there were ways to get a distress signal out."

Also, Langkawi is just over 230 nautical miles from where MH370 disappeared from radar, the better option would be Sultan Mahmud Airport, 97 nautical miles from where they disappeared.

Comment

• Originally posted by iazoniccc View Post
                                Link doesn't work buddy. Whatever maintenance issue it is your thinking could not have been so serious as to stop the aircraft being powered up and relaying satellite communications until at least 8:11am.
                                Buddy . I'll attach the article if the link socalBrian has posted doesn't work. There's more than maintenance issues going on in that article

Comment

Working...
                                X