Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And shame on the woman who claimed to have seen the aircraft of the Andaman Islands. Some people will do anything for publicity!

Comment

• Originally posted by MIT EE View Post
      The company told the BBC the new calculation involved crunching far more data, which included what other aircraft were doing at the time.
      Maybe they've been reading this forum :-) Although I'm sure they had the idea after their initial results but, as was mentioned here earlier, there is no need to treat the ping data in isolation when old ping data for this aircraft and constant ping data from many others could be matched up with known locations of the aircrafts (with GPS accuracy) to infer more than just a distance from the satellite. It looks like that concept actually worked out.

Comment

• Originally posted by smay69 View Post
        Maybe they've been reading this forum :-) Although I'm sure they had the idea after their initial results but, as was mentioned here earlier, there is no need to treat the ping data in isolation when old ping data for this aircraft and constant ping data from many others could be matched up with known locations of the aircrafts (with GPS accuracy) to infer more than just a distance from the satellite. It looks like that concept actually worked out.
        It is safe to say that they got the idea from this forum

Comment

• Originally posted by MIT EE View Post
          It is safe to say that they got the idea from this forum
          I wonder what they actually found - my guess is there was something different about the pings over a large swath of land vs a large swath of ocean - which isolated the southern route. I wonder what else though.

Comment

I wonder what they actually found - my guess is there was something different about the pings over a large swath of land vs a large swath of ocean - which isolated the southern route. I wonder what else though.
            I would love to know. I think the both of us have a general idea. I hope they put out a paper of exactly what data they had and how they performed their calculation. Immense public value in that.

Comment

• Originally posted by seat4233 View Post
              Human Rights movements all around the globe should bring this Malaysia's PM Najib and all his men to a UN body for further scrutiny. He and his men should not escape MH370 tragedy which is very controversial!
              There is a lot hidden here.

Where is the communication,
              that ATC must have conducted during their last/first talk with the pilot/s that, when you took off, the angle was quite off and you were deviated from its normal route, why and how ?

Still needs to have a detailed interview with pilot's wife.

Originally posted by MIT EE View Post
              And shame on the woman who claimed to have seen the aircraft of the Andaman Islands. Some people will do anything for publicity!
              the part that surprises me, if she was so positve ( like she is so positive, at present on the ground ), why she did not show it to at least 1-2 other guys sitting next to her,
              when Flight attendant ridiculed her, saying that " you are tired and you need some rest and enough sleep "
              Last edited by voyager10; 2014-03-24, 17:49.

Comment

I wonder what they actually found
                Latency? Signal strength? Signal travel time?
                Some or all of them an probably some more combined with known planes on known locations with known ping values. All correlated and compared to eachother. I can imagine this takes huge data processing power, hence time.

Comment

"Shortly after the PM's press conference of Mar 24th 2014 Inmarsat reported that the new analysis of their satellite data used to identify the corridor and final location was based on the Doppler effects modifying radio waves and frequencies depending on speed and direction of travel of the aircraft, these data were compared to other flights. The computations are not precise enough to give the accurate position, however, made it possible to identify the general location. The new modelling and comparism were developed after the first discovery of the data on Mar 11th 2014, the work is still in progress."

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation
                  AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

• Originally posted by jhmb View Post
                    Latency? Signal strength? Signal travel time?
                    Some or all of them an probably some more combined with known planes on known locations with known ping values. All correlated and compared to eachother. I can imagine this takes huge data processing power, hence time.
                    No doubt, Someone will publish...

Comment

• Its actually confirmed 'ended' there but the authorities stopped short of saying 'crashed' although the probability is high.

Till the time the bodies were found, shouldnt they call the people on board as 'Lost' instead of 'Dead'..think its the way its treated during an havoc or at war times..

I can understand,...Bodies may not be found in such deep waters. It is already too late also.

It is a nightmare for the families as the Legal & insurance jargons will be used to drag the compensation process.
                      154 of 216 bodies were found in air france 447 crash. Wont they get even 1 body here..

I think due to intense pressure and in order to avoid building future hope they might have said this.

Pray to God to give courage to the relatives of the fallen. RIP.

Assuming the reports received to date are accurate, including that of the Malaysian PM today, it would seem to have taken some planning to figure out how to fly a jet going northbound from KL to fly a certain distance to the edge of Malaysian airspace before ending communications, turning off transponders etc (perhaps those on the engines could not be manually turned off?) then turning sharply west and then southwards well away from any radars to crash in as remote a section of ocean as possible. As Gothic says, the reasons are not yet explained. If the pilot simply wanted to commit suicide, he does not have to do this by crashing a plane and killing innocent passengers, or if suicide was simply the objective a pilot could simply have nose dived at any time or screwed up the take-off. In this case, why would someone fly a plane by stealth to the remotest location possible with the presumed objective to prevent the plane and its black box from being recovered?

The pilot was obviously successful in evading traditional radar tracking, though relatively new satelite tracking technologies have been shown to assist, as demonstrated - though it took some time to appreciate that this was not a typical crash.

One assumes that the plane will eventually be found, that the black box recordings will come out, and the details of what actually happened will eventually come to light.
                      Flight MH370: the search in the Indian Ocean

Seems that the chaps at Inmarsat and the AAIB have used a new analysis method developed since the 11th March on the "ping" data to identify the approx final position of the flight.
                      Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Scroll down to the yellow highlighted text.

Last edited by voyager10; 2014-03-24, 18:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                        "Shortly after the PM's press conference of Mar 24th 2014 Inmarsat reported that the new analysis of their satellite data used to identify the corridor and final location was based on the Doppler effects modifying radio waves and frequencies depending on speed and direction of travel of the aircraft, these data were compared to other flights. The computations are not precise enough to give the accurate position, however, made it possible to identify the general location. The new modelling and comparism were developed after the first discovery of the data on Mar 11th 2014, the work is still in progress."

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0
                        That's what I think had to have happened. They might have compared a similar number of pings of a known aircraft (this is the point that smay69 brought up quite a few days ago) flying a known path. Say, one that went the Northern corridor and another the Southern corridor (assuming there is a flight that goes that path). They could even have requisitioned aircraft to fly the paths in question and monitored their pings.

Comment

• Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                          http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0
                          Now this is fascinating - so indeed using data for other flights with known position, heading, and speed allowed them to estimate more than distance from the satellite - and each hourly ping likely mapped out a route south into the ocean. What's interesting is that they were able to measure a doppler effect in the signal, that is the frequency variation in the carrier would normally wouldn't be stored as a measurement for a carrier which is relaying digital data. I guess for a satellite it must be an important piece of data to keep.

I had wondered when the initially talked about the pings what data was given by Inmarsat to the Malaysian government. Was it relatively raw data or initial results. It seems like Inmarsat would likely be the best candidate to crunch the data since they know exactly how their entire system works, and what they can actually infer from their data.
                          Last edited by smay69; 2014-03-24, 18:25.

Comment

• Live Updates here:

The search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the longest civil aircraft disappearance in modern history, has unearthed more questions than answers, as the mystery surrounding the fate of the missing jetliner continues to intensify with each passing day.

Last edited by voyager10; 2014-03-24, 18:18.

Comment

• There a few more info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26720772
                              "UK firm behind Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 breakthrough" and last few weeks of MAS 777 flight date and pings were compared against.

but yah, basically, 10-20 pages back someone on the forum already proposed using existing flight data to work out the flight path.

Deepest condolences to all the families and friends of those who were on the ill fated flight.

Comment

Working...
                              X