Page 73 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China - Flight MH370

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by oriondt View Post
    First- thank you to all the professionals on here who have shared their expertise regarding this tragic situation. My heart goes out to all of the family members out there struggling to find answers on their loved ones.

I have been reading this thread since day 2, and have a terrible feeling that if no floating debris is discovered, indicating a potential crash site, that the aircraft may never be found in the depths of the Indian Ocean.

If a 777 were carefully ditched in the ocean, intact, does anyone know approximately how long it would take to sink?

Would it be possible that the pings could still be transmitted from a floating aircraft until power to the engines went off completely?

I keep thinking of Andy Pasztor's WSJ article from Mar 14th when we first learned the technical nature of the pings.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...?mg=reno64-wsj

"Malaysia Airlines' missing jet transmitted its location repeatedly to satellites over the course of five hours after it disappeared from radar, people briefed on the matter said... The final ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a normal cruising altitude."

Note, at that time the 'final ping' was referring to the one in the FIFTH hour, as it wasn't until later that we found out it actually transmitted until 8:11- another few hours later. Could the final few pings have been transmitted from a ditched floating plane?

If so, the left turn and flight path through the Strait may have been a strategy to disappear from radar with the appearances of a course to the NW, whilst then heading South to deeper waters. This false trail may have allotted enough time for the plane to sink -intact- before SAR even knew about the turn South. Inducing hypoxia would ensure no life rafts would be deployed by crew or PAX.

Also mentioned in the same article:

"the U.S. planned to move surveillance planes into an area of the Indian Ocean 1,000 miles or more west of the Malay peninsula"

and

"Among the possible scenarios investigators said they are now considering is whether the jet may have landed at any point during the five-hour period under scrutiny, or whether it ultimately crashed."

It would appear that as of 4 days ago, the US was able to derive the two satellite arcs and may have had information indicating the plane could have been stationary for a period of time- either near the North arc (indicating landing) or the South arc (possibly indicating intact ditching in the ocean.). Given the focus of the search the past two days I guess they're leaning towards the ocean option.

I don't want to speculate on who may have been flying, but if it were indeed towards the South, it would seem likely a suicide mission unless a boat was waiting on the other end.
    A highly pressurized sealed aircraft would probably float for a fair amount of time but as soon as it hits the water the doors would be opened so people can escape before it sinks. We're talking minutes not hours, see US Airways Flight 1549 where the pilot executed a picture perfect water ditching in an outstanding display of airmanship. It would have been incredibly difficult for MH370 to have executed such a manoeuvre with any degree of accuracy in the dead of a moonless night with possible damage to navigational avionics. The engines will not be able to provide any power whilst submerged in the water as they are dependant on oxygen, there are backup systems to provide such power but its unlikely they would be utilized AFTER successful ditching given that that plane is about to sink completely and plunge to the depths of the ocean. I believe it to be extremely unlikely that any of these ping's were relayed from a temporarily floating aircraft bereft of electrical power.

Given KNOWN facts, this scenario looks extremely unlikely.
    Last edited by iazoniccc; 2014-03-19 at 01:22.

Passenger
    I posted this previously; and I know one gets tired of looking at posted links over and over but....... this article was written before the disappearance of MH370 (February, 24 2014) and I found it interesting. If nothing else; for the obvious incompetence of .........someone. One has to also wonder about the MAS fleet and IF lack of maintenance could be a factor here. I'm sure someone is going to be investigating the finances here.
    http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...lout-continue/

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsgoingonhere View Post
    I posted this previously; and I know one gets tired of looking at posted links over and over but....... this article was written before the disappearance of MH370 (February, 24 2014) and I found it interesting. If nothing else; for the obvious incompetence of .........someone. One has to also wonder about the MAS fleet and IF lack of maintenance could be a factor here. I'm sure someone is going to be investigating the finances here.
    Link doesn't work buddy. Whatever maintenance issue it is your thinking could not have been so serious as to stop the aircraft being powered up and relaying satellite communications until at least 8:11am.
    Last edited by iazoniccc; 2014-03-19 at 01:43.

Passenger
    Also I think the airplane on the ground, used some pirate track and this camouflaged somewhere.

Captain
    The link you want is

Should MAS bailout continue?
    February 24, 2014

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by longpig_yum View Post
    From the article "However, his theory has been discredited by other aviation experts who said that even in a situation like that there were ways to get a distress signal out."

Also, Langkawi is just over 230 nautical miles from where MH370 disappeared from radar, the better option would be Sultan Mahmud Airport, 97 nautical miles from where they disappeared.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by iazoniccc View Post
    Link doesn't work buddy. Whatever maintenance issue it is your thinking could not have been so serious as to stop the aircraft being powered up and relaying satellite communications until at least 8:11am.
    Buddy . I'll attach the article if the link socalBrian has posted doesn't work. There's more than maintenance issues going on in that article

Passenger
    Hi Again,

I found a disturbing comment, it doesn't puzzle together as there wasn't enough fuel to get to the destination he mentioned but god knows.

But anyway I'll post it, this is after the news came out about the Maldives Islanders witnessing a plane flying low looking similar to MH370 at 6.15am local time on March 8.

4 hours ago
    The plane is in Somalia. The Pilot was killed shortly after takeoff and the co-pilot and one other on board hijacked the plane. The co-pilot shut everything down 2 minutes after signing off air traffic control in Malaysia. The plane then turned over Malaysia and then headed to Somalia. It was planned all along. The Maldives are close to the borders of Somalia.
    The governments probably already know. If you read all of the news it can be pieced together.

Quote Originally Posted by Flybywire View Post
    The Thai air force is now saying they tracked a plane after MH370 disappeared, but it wasn't judged a threat to Thai security as it was in Malaysian airspace.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

A newspaper report also claims Thai air force only just handed over the radar information because Malaysia hadn't specifically asked them for it.
    And they have just now discovered that the flight has disappeared and, as a result, the information might be useful.

Passenger
    Can someone please help educate me on the following:

What info could have been/was received on the inmarsat pings (the ones that countinued for 5 hours + the last one at ~08:00) that positively identified that they were from MH370? Airframe identifier?

Could there be any reasonable doubts on the validity of these pings?

Thanks! And thanks for the earlier post on explaining in laymen terms (comparison with cellphone) how transponder, ACAR and Inmarsat work!