This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seahorse View Post
    Agreed, was actually more or less what I intended to say in my first message regarding the cell phones.
    Speed? ok, if you're low to the earth, but assuming that you would still have reception at 35000 ft then I don't think speed would be an issue.
    Look above you next time there's a plane coming over at 35000 ft, even if it goes 500+ mph, you can easily follow it, so could a signal (like ADS-B)
    The two signals you mention are completely different beasts. ADS-B range can exceed 250 nautical miles in good conditions. Mobile phone base stations (masts) are generally positioned between 1-2 miles apart, this is to ensure that the device is always in decent range of at least one station, preferably at least 3 stations to allow for triangulation (in urban areas). Lets say they are 2 miles apart, At 500mph you would be travelling past one station every 14.4 seconds, of which most of that time, if not more would be needed for successful handover. Needless to say most of the areas MH370 travelled over are far from urban. Very strange though the reports of family members making calls to and having successful connections to the passengers phones, only for them to go unanswered or rejected. This can ONLY happen in flight at very low altitude and speed over urban areas with good mobile coverage, or of course a grounded plane.

Comment

• Inmarsat statement on Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

14 March 2014: Inmarsat has issued the following statement regarding Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Routine, automated signals were registered on the Inmarsat network from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 during its flight from Kuala Lumpur.

This information was provided to our partner SITA, which in turn has shared it with Malaysia Airlines.

For further information, please contact Malaysia Airlines.

Comment

• I cant get on tomnod either, been trying for hours now

Comment

• I've read a couple of comments that an automatic signal would have been sent if the plane crashed/hit the sea. Did this happen with the Air France flight? I thought all the investigators had to go on in that case (until they found wreckage) was the 'cascade' of information from the transponder?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambridge
            instead of wasting time with theorys get your asses onto http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014 and search for it !
            tomnod has been down most of the time since it has made the announcement about this event so stfu...everyone is trying to help out in any which way. there's nothing wrong in speculating what might have happened. who knows someone might actually come up with the answer..

Comment

• I'm hoping someone can answer my question.

according to some articles, the data reporting system got turned off at 1:07, then 14 mins later (1:21) the transponder also got turned off.

So is it mean that even if the black box is found, the voice recorder won't record any of the conversion in the cockpit?

Comment

• Originally posted by skinnyp View Post
                I'm hoping someone can answer my question.

according to some articles, the data reporting system got turned off at 1:07, then 14 mins later (1:21) the transponder also got turned off.

So is it mean that even if the black box is found, the voice recorder won't record any of the conversion in the cockpit?
                No what you are confusing is the ACARS data for the engines with the ADS-B, the engine data is only transmitted at intervals, probably once every half hour or so, while the ADS-B is once per second, therefore you would expect to find a difference in the last received time between the 2 systems of up to 29.59 mins.
                FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by skinnyp View Post
                  I'm hoping someone can answer my question.

the "orange box" can be unplugged in which case there will be nothing. I believe that there are 2 on this plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flybywire View Post
                    I've read a couple of comments that an automatic signal would have been sent if the plane crashed/hit the sea. Did this happen with the Air France flight? I thought all the investigators had to go on in that case (until they found wreckage) was the 'cascade' of information from the transponder?
                    the fdr is water and crash activated and has a battery back up. the elt battery runs independant of the aircraft power and can last roughly 6 years if not used (not sure how long it will transmit) I am also not sure which one in on this aircraft

Comment

• If the tracking/diagnostic equipment was turned of manually by a knowledgeable human being there must be a reason, unfortunately you would assume for that same reason they would have the piece of mind to pop out the FDR and CVR breakers also. Pretty sure too that the CVR runs on a 2 hour recording loop which would have been overwritten if the plane has indeed flown for 4-5 hours more. It's likely that even if they are found we will probably never know what was said in the flight deck.

Comment

• Maybe this can help.
                        Moreover, the CVR (cockpit voice recorder) records every noise/voice/other inside the cockpit for the "last" 30 minutes.

BiqOJYLCQAAw0Jv.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by pipistro View Post
                          Maybe this can help.
                          Moreover, the CVR (cockpit voice recorder) records every noise/voice/other inside the cockpit for the "last" 30 minutes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3549[/ATTACH]
                          Apologies, I stand corrected. Thought modern CVR were 2 hours minimum.
                          Last edited by iazoniccc; 2014-03-14, 19:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by iazoniccc View Post
                            Apologies, I stand corrected. Thought modern CVR were 2 hours with minimum 30 mins.
                            Maybe you're right, though, I don't know the nature of the actual cvr aboard MH370. Thanks.

Comment

• does anyone know, if the pilot and the co pilot were flying regularly together? or was that theyr first time?

Comment

• I have been using FR24 every time one in my family or friends are flying, so I have been using it alot. But I have never seen this red stripe on the map before, on the spot everyone say the MH370 is missing. After the red stripe, the missing plane are coming back on my computer, and fly a long distance before stopping and not showing. Is it just me seeing this?? Every time I have playedback this flight, the plain is not gone before this spot. Is it possible that the plain is there?? Skjermbilde.PNGSkjermbilde2.PNGSkjermbilde3.PNG

Comment

Working...
                                X