No announcement yet.

Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My original CoCo was an 8 element, the current one is a 12 element, using RG6/U Quad-shield cable. RG213 is sold with 5 twisted copper core, rather then a solid core (making it rather unsuitable for a CoCo. I can't remember what the type of cable is was but I use to be able to get very high quality satellite pay-tv cable, the core was much thicker then the RG6 and the shielding was about four layers (braid, foil, braid and foil) but seems to be no longer sold in Australia and RG6 is now used (though isn't as good as the original cable). I've had a slight increase in coverage but receiving far more signals from aircraft (Mode S and ADS-B).
    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• The reason for saying use a known cable is to get the velocity factor right, if it's wrong then the elements will be the wrong length and instead of getting a disk of highest sensitivity that goes off to the horizon - you end up with a cone that goes off into space or goes to the ground. If this happens - more elements can actually make matters worse.

The reason I bought the commercial antenna (link in my sig below) was that the people that made it have the equipment to test and tweak it's design for peak performance before going into production. It is 1/3rd the length of the old coco - so can only have maybe 4 elements - and it picks up more aircraft.

I don't think making an antenna of over 4 elements adds that much signal, but can add problems. The reason I sad to stick it to a bamboo cane (non conductive) to test it is that is accessible for modification, once it's in a PVC tube that can be more difficult.

Whatever you do don't stick it directly to the side of a metal pole of building - that will badly suppres or block the signal, it needs to be in free air. it would be nice not to put it on a cane or in a tube - but it needs something to hold it vertical.

Comment

• Current set-up, PVC is just over 2m long but the CoCo is around 2m long (12 element). Not really in the location I want it in but being a two storey building makes it rather difficult to put it in the best location with a little more height to over come the building's roof to the east and the trees from the west to the north. Current access is easy, as it's on my balcony.
        IMG_20140309_132718.jpg

1m long CoCo (8 element) attached to 2m long PVC tube with 1m long coaxial in the lower section.
        Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 2.09.10 PM.png

With the 12 element CoCo
        Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 2.10.40 PM.png

I wouldn't mind testing a 4 element CoCo, since I still have some coaxial left.
        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• I'm guessing that the extra distance may come from the extra height at the top of the antenna rather than the length - might be worth comparing the 8 fixed to some sort of temporary mast (nail it to a vertical 2x2 for extra height)

Comment

• It seems that the more elements has meant I've received more messages and positions but will need to see what Monday is like, since storms have seen air traffic use different flight routes. It will need to be increased in height, will test out less elements and more height during the week.

Thank you for your suggestion.
            F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• peterhr perfect! thanks for that info and yes my antenna is good enough today i just increased its height about a feet and it increased few more miles in some directions and here i have lot of obstacles like buildings and mountains so its really limited for me but some how im satisfied for today work
              RTL SDR : T-VEVZ1

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                The reason I bought the commercial antenna (link in my sig below) was that the people that made it have the equipment to test and tweak it's design for peak performance before going into production. It is 1/3rd the length of the old coco - so can only have maybe 4 elements - and it picks up more aircraft.

T-EGBB19 : RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with Bulgarian collinear 8m above ground level - range 240nm / 445km
                The Miro boys that build the Bulgarian collinear have done design for lots of spectrum besides 1090 mhz and their technical support is first class.

The antenna peterhr and like myself have discovered is actually a combination of collinear and PCB. Fewer elements-lower gain results in a broader horizontal beam pattern which translates into more resolved contacts. Adding elements narrows the horizontal beam pattern showing distant contacts on your scope only for a short period of time rather than staying tracked for a longer period of time.

The antenna included in the FR24 hosting kit is PCB also. PCB allows for fast quality controlled manufacturing and fabrication in a small package with proven reliability.

Collinears built home grown using aluminium shield oxidizes and turns to a higher resistance dust when exposed to moisture in the atmosphere and the dissimilar metal of the copper center conductor interwoven between elements. Things that work today will work less tomorrow and the day after due to this oxidation.

In selecting coax for experimentation always select coax with the copper shield that can be soldered together and if it works today it will work at the same efficiency tomorrow. RG58 and RG59 are available with copper shield.

John

F-RPVD1

Comment

• WOW coverage increased about 50nm total more than 130nmi lovely ! delete.jpg Thank you soo much guys !
                  RTL SDR : T-VEVZ1

Comment

• So the top 3 antenna for this type of antenna would be.

1.) Omnidirectional antenna 1090 MHz ADS-B - (microadsb.com) http://www.anteni.net/adsb/#!/~/prod...02&id=15504149

2.) "A3-ADSB" Mode-S Antenna (FR24 Antenna) - http://www.shop-modesbeast.com/epage.../Products/1304

3.) DPD ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna - http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout

?
                    Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-03-09, 18:14.
                    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                      So the top 3 antenna for this type of antenna would be.

1.) Omnidirectional antenna 1090 MHz ADS-B - (microadsb.com) http://www.anteni.net/adsb/#!/~/prod...02&id=15504149

2.) "A3-ADSB" Mode-S Antenna (FR24 Antenna) - http://www.shop-modesbeast.com/epage.../Products/1304

3.) DPD ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna - http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout

?
                      I wouldn't know if anyone was better than any other - I went with option (1) because I'm very much into doing what I can at as small a budget as possible - mainly to help others who want to get into this as a hobby but who don't have the money to a beast type receiver.

I'm getting reception from 400Km from my antenna on rare occasions - I suspect if I wanted to receive more planes I'd need a more sensitive receiver to with a more selective decoder.

I'd recommend antenna 1 to anyone - excellent value for money. Just put a minimal bid in the ebay auction - if someone else wins, there'll be another to bid on in a day or two.
                      Last edited by peterhr; 2014-03-09, 21:35.

Comment

So the top 3 antenna for this type of antenna would be.

Tracking continuity adds value to the Apps FR24 uses to finance this. Antennas 1 and 2 are similar. I have both now and can verify that matched to the appropriate receiver, dongle or RadarCape/Beast will deliver with the FR24 system slightly better in number of contacts and maxrange.

The advantage of the RadarCape/Beast is the superior decoding vs the dongle resulting in fewer errors. Continuity persistance is noted in the attached Scope screenshot.

John

F-RPVD1

Comment

• Thanks for the info.
                          Might have to order the Omnidirectional antenna from anteni.net to add to my ADS-B antenna collection.
                          I already own 2 "A3-ADSB" antenna from ModeSBeast, and 1 DPD ADS-B antenna.
                          I only own 2 AirNav RadarBox units and own 1 Radarcape box.
                          Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-03-09, 20:45.
                          Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                          [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                            Might have to order the Omnidirectional antenna from anteni.net to add to my ADS-B antenna collection.
                            I already own 2 "A3-ADSB" antenna from ModeSBeast, and 1 DPD ADS-B antenna.
                            I only own 2 AirNav RadarBox units and own 1 Radarcape box.

Brian,

Are you smoking pots ? You own TWO (2) RadarBox ? !

LOL
                            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Do you know if FR24 will replace DVB-T sticks that were given out last year that have been damaged by 'Natural Causes'. My one was in the sun and all the plasic became sticky and it broke causing the circuit board to brake. The antenna also blew away in a storm last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                                Brian,

Are you smoking pots ? You own TWO (2) RadarBox ? !

LOL
                                Yes, why not, nothing wrong owning the Radarbox product & others.
                                Don't people need one for 'home' and another one for the vehicle/trips.
                                Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

Working...
                                X