MLAT is now live on Flightradar24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT is now live on Flightradar24

After an initial beta testing of MLAT for premium users, we are now satisfied with how it works and we have launched it for all our users on www.flightradar24.com and in our apps. You can read more about ADS-B, MLAT and FAA on our how it works-page

In some regions with good ADS-B coverage we also calculate positions of aircraft with the help of Multilateration (MLAT), by using a method known as Time Difference of Arrival (TDOA). That makes it possible to view most aircraft, even thoses without an ADS-B transponder. 4 ADS-B receivers or more, covering the same area, are needed to make MLAT work. That means that MLAT coverage can only be achieved above about 15000-20000 feet depending on distance to receivers.
    For security and privacy reasons information about some aircraft is limited or blocked. This has been a hot topic in previous threads here on the forum and we will not discuss this matter any more. As we have mentioned before Flightradar24 is working with authorities and we will not discuss this in public. We will not comment or discuss what other services are showing or not showing. All discussion regarding this will be deleted from this thread!

MLAT on FR24 can ONLY be done with FR24 receivers. There are NO exceptions.
    If you want to host a FR24 receiver please apply on http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

If you have any questions about MLAT on Flightradar24 please post in this thread.

Very cool to have more MLAT showing.
    Just need to work on getting the Australia and Brazil and United States on MLAT

List of active MLAT receivers turned online for MLATing:
    F-EGTK1/Oxford, GB - MLAT active
    F-EETN2/Tallinn, EE - MLAT active
    F-EGSH1/Norwich, GB - MLAT active
    F-EPSU1 Elk (North East Poland) - (will be MLAT)
    F-EPKK1 Bochnia (Southern Poland) - (will be MLAT)
    F-LIMC1/Milan, IT - Will be added to MLAT later
    F-EVRA2 - Riga, Latvia (MLAT upgrade)
    F-EKYT1 - Aalborg, Denmark will be upgraded from ADS-B to MLAT
    F-EGHD1/Plymouth, GB in UK - with MLAT
    F-EHRD1/Rotterdam, NL in Netherlands - with MLAT
    F-EGNX2/East Midlands, GB in UK - with MLAT
    F-UKLL1/Lviv, UA in Ukraine - with MLAT
    F-EFHK3/Helsinki, FI in Finland - with MLAT
    F-ENAL1/Alesund, NO in Norway - with MLAT
    F-LKTB1/Brno, CZ in Czech Republic - with MLAT
    F-EGNR2/HAWARDEN, GB in UK - with MLAT
    F-EFHK2/Helsinki, FI in Finland - with MLAT
    Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2013-09-04, 05:55.
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Since it's out of "beta testing" aka T-MLAT.

Maybe it should be called "F-MLAT" now ?

delcomp wrote:
      I find T-MLAT appropreiate,. when you consider Mike did say,.
      Its in the Beta stage,. and what better as Test-Multilateration,. as T_MLAT LOL.
      maybe you cant work out the connection.
      All about Flightradar24.com web page and Flightradar24 apps. No discussions about feeding data to Flightradar24.
      Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
      [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Mike, Good work !

Hope the network will progressively expand to other parts of the world.
        F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Is there any MLAT coverage in Australia?

Comment

Australia doesn't have any MLAT coverage yet.
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

A suggestion, please don't give planes of the same aircraft type the same callsigns on MLAT. It makes it really difficult to distinguish them when you have 3 GLF5 (Gulfstream V) flying next to each other..there must be another way of ID to assign to them

Comment

I am very pleased that Flightradar24 now have MLAT coverage.
                I would just like to see improved low level MLAT coverage.
                I was planespotting at Manchester airport yesterday and noticed a lot of the MLAT traffic inbound to the airport had disappeared of the radar before the aircraft was established on the glidepath.
                Hopefully low level MLAT airport coverage will get better.
                That aside i am very impress with the Flightradar24 MLAT.

Comment

Originally posted by aircraftenthusiast View Post
                  I am very pleased that Flightradar24 now have MLAT coverage.
                  I would just like to see improved low level MLAT coverage.
                  I was planespotting at Manchester airport yesterday and noticed a lot of the MLAT traffic inbound to the airport had disappeared of the radar before the aircraft was established on the glidepath.
                  Hopefully low level MLAT airport coverage will get better.
                  That aside i am very impress with the Flightradar24 MLAT.
                  For good low level MLAT the receivers will be have to be about 10-20nm apart. Correct me if I am wrong, at present this is difficult to achieve for FR24 for the reason that they couldn't just send the receivers very close to each other simply for MLAT at a particular area. They have only starting live MLAT and is probably focusing on getting MLAT wide enough first for Europe.

Please see: http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works
                  it clarifies that MLAT for now is aiming for a/c at FL150- FL200 (and perhaps above), due to receiver locations.

If you want good MLAT, Planeplotter is the alternative as there is a lot of GS in the UK. Hope this helps.

Comment

Does planeplotter network feed MLAT derived data to FR24 (maybe I'll answer myself ... probably not, if it did there would be little need for FR24 receiver derived MLAT cover in the UK).

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Does planeplotter network feed MLAT derived data to FR24 (maybe I'll answer myself ... probably not, if it did there would be little need for FR24 receiver derived MLAT cover in the UK).
                      All about Flightradar24.com web page and Flightradar24 apps. No discussions about feeding data to Flightradar24.

See post #109 by satcom to find your answer.
                      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-08-25, 13:25. Reason: URL editted

Comment

Currently there is only MLAT coverage in Europe in the region where aircraft are visible in the map below. Coverage will be expanding in all directions with expected installations in UK, Holland, Belgium, France, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Norway, Germany, Poland and Finland within the next days.

After that US west cost, US east cost and Brazil are expected to get MLAT coverage. All MLAT coverage is coming from FR24 receivers only. We will continue installing more receivers in regions with current MLAT coverage, but there will only be 4-5 airports with MLAT coverage below FL100 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by eddm_muc View Post
                          A suggestion, please don't give planes of the same aircraft type the same callsigns on MLAT. It makes it really difficult to distinguish them when you have 3 GLF5 (Gulfstream V) flying next to each other..there must be another way of ID to assign to them
                          There are 4 options.

1) Aircraft type (currenty used)
                          2) "Blocked"
                          3) Our internal flight ID, for example "352937341"
                          4) Completely removed

Comment

Alerts with the MLAT still not working.
                            Last edited by trabin; 2013-08-25, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                              Australia doesn't have any MLAT coverage yet.
                              Do you know when it is expected to have coverage?

Comment

Working...
                              X