MLAT is now live on Flightradar24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddm_muc View Post
    A suggestion, please don't give planes of the same aircraft type the same callsigns on MLAT. It makes it really difficult to distinguish them when you have 3 GLF5 (Gulfstream V) flying next to each other..there must be another way of ID to assign to them

Surely that's better than them being removed completely?

Comment

Originally posted by OliverGigacz View Post
      Do you know when it is expected to have coverage?
      There are currently no plans for MLAT in Australia as ADSB will become mandatory in December.

Comment

Im I correct in assuming that an extra receiver for MLAT in the Netherlands would increase coverage over Northwestern Europe? Anyway, the situation as it is looks like a major inprovement already!
        Last edited by Inkjet; 2013-08-25, 16:11. Reason: forgot 'extra'

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          There are 4 options.

1) Aircraft type (currenty used)
          2) "Blocked"
          3) Our internal flight ID, for example "352937341"
          4) Completely removed
          I would like to see option1 and 3 combined in two lines

Comment

Originally posted by aircraftenthusiast View Post
            I am very pleased that Flightradar24 now have MLAT coverage.
            I would just like to see improved low level MLAT coverage.
            Hopefully low level MLAT airport coverage will get better.
            Need to remember what Mike told us on Twitter the other week.

From Flightradar24 twitter:

Flightradar24 will never get low level MLAT coverage as 4 receivers are needed.
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

There are currently no plans for MLAT in Australia as ADSB will become mandatory in December.
              Only for aircraft that fly above FL290.

Here is the CASA statement...

Dec 2013: All operations at and above FL290
              Feb 2014: Aircraft operated under the IFR first registered in Australia after 6 Feb 2014.
              Feb 2016: In large parts of Western Australia (Airspace classes A, B, C and E).
              (This is co-incident with the mandatory requirement to fit GNSS to all IFR aircraft for
              navigation in Australian airspace.)
              Feb 2017: All IFR operations at all flight levels
              So aircraft that fly under FL290 don't have to have ADS-B installed by December, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by OliverGigacz View Post
                Only for aircraft that fly above FL290.

So aircraft that fly under FL290 don't have to have ADS-B installed by December, correct?
                Today we build our MLAT network in populated areas like Europe or USA where we can install receivers regularly spread out in all directions. In Australia the population is concentrated to the coast and building a good MLAT network is much harder. I guess we would have quite hard to spread the receivers to build a good network and get coverage below FL200, so we would get a network for maybe FL200-FL290 in some limited areas only.

I don't say we will not try MLAT in Australia in some areas, but with the current conditions building a MLAT network in Australia would have a very limited use and coverage.

Comment

There are 4 options.

1) Aircraft type (currenty used)
                  2) "Blocked"
                  3) Our internal flight ID, for example "352937341"
                  4) Completely removed
                  Why don't you use the callsign/flightnumber as it is done for most planes (even most spotted by MLAT)? I actually see a C25A with MLAT without flightnumber and ICAO-ID 000000 but I see the same plane (I asume it is the same because of the height and a matching squawk) on my own receiver including ICAO-ID and callsign.

Comment

Originally posted by jossi View Post
                    Why don't you use the callsign/flightnumber as it is done for most planes (even most spotted by MLAT)? I actually see a C25A with MLAT without flightnumber and ICAO-ID 000000 but I see the same plane (I asume it is the same because of the height and a matching squawk) on my own receiver including ICAO-ID and callsign.
                    Please read first post http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-Flightradar24

Comment

I'd just like add a voice of thanks and appreciation for this addition to a fantastic website FR24. To have the chance to pick up such MLAT flights is much appreciated and only adds to our hobby. Thanks to all those who help provide MLAT coverage.

Comment

I'm almost certain this only applies to MLAT A/C ? I've noticed some display as jet silhouettes whereas in fact they are King Airs, which I presume would be better shown as Piston (albeit turboprop) silhouettes ?

John
                        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

After an initial beta testing of MLAT for premium users, we are now satisfied with how it works and we have launched it for all our users on www.flightradar24.com and in our apps. You can read more about ADS-B, MLAT and FAA on our how it works-page

If you have any questions about MLAT on Flightradar24 please post in this thread.
                          So, to be sure that I am reading this and your follow on posts correctly, you will be doing MLAT Only in the UK.Europe for now and then only with the FR supplied equipment?

Comment

MAN-DUS.jpeg

Nice Mike,. First time Ive seen a Flybe cross the North Sea.
                            And was on screen till about 20nM East of Amsterdam.
                            Congrats to the UK MLAT. Looks like Holland will have to start doing something
                            now. to connect the UK to Europe.
                            (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                            1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

superb added info, Thanks whoever came up with it.....

Comment

Nothing to add the discussion.
                                But many thanks for MLAT, really improved my good ole Flygradar.nu!

Comment

Working...
                                X