Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Maybe, we should start a new discussion on how to configure a Raspberry Pi Type B to run a DVB-T Dongle and feed FlightRadar24.com, instead of running a PC.

Power consumption is about 5 watts, 5 volts 1 Amp.

If this is successful I believe more volunteers will feed data into Flightradar24 and increase the coverage dramatically.

raspberry_pi.jpgmQ3FGvGPGSmRM3RX1FHdeyA.jpg

Lets get the drums rolling !

4IMGP7281W.jpg
    Last edited by Birdie; 2013-08-25, 03:51. Reason: spelling error Flightradar24.com
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Good idea!
    I bought the DVB-T stick few days ago and it will arrive around 15th september.
    Maybe I will use it with a raspberry pi.

Comment

Great idea

I have thought of having a receiver but didn't know much about other OS than Windows (even though I'm a electronic technician) and therefore not got any further.

If "how to" could be written for people and not for nerds it would be great.

Poul
      T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

Are nerds not people ? LOL
        F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

I've bought a new 2Gb SD card [today, hard to find that small] and am building a new install from scratch on it, writing down all the steps to get it going, with a view to
          * publishing the write up (here?),
          * publishing an SD card image file (almost ready to go - for the less technical)
          * publishing instructions how to install use the image and set up your own radar.

The more technical will just be able to do parts of 1 & 3 to do it from scratch themselves.
          ----
          Without doing the ADSB stuff the SD card has just 165Kb left once Wheezy Linux is installed - so you'll need a 4Gb card or bigger (I need to do it on 2GB [if i can] so we don't end up with an oversized image file)

Do get a proper plastic case for the Pi - it's all to easy to wreck the SD card holder without one (then you have to unsolder it, get a new one and solder it on) - the case holds the SD card in the correct position.
          Also do get a short USB extension to fit between the PI and the tuner - so you don't get the antenna connector pulling the dongle one way while the PI is holding it in place by the USB plug.
          ----
          Will complete the write up tomorrow (probably)
          Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-23, 18:57.

Comment

I have Raspberry Pi running with DVB-T dongle as FR24 feeder. When I fix one problem, I could try to write a "how to".

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              * publishing an SD card image file (almost ready to go - for the less technical)
              That would be a good idea, an easy to setup feeder when you only have to put the dongle in your raspberry pi and fill in some important information to feed (such as email, etc)

Originally posted by Micha-ek View Post
              I have Raspberry Pi running with DVB-T dongle as FR24 feeder. When I fix one problem, I could try to write a "how to".
              If you want to do it, it would be nice!
              You can tell us about the requirements: which OS, which software, technical difficulty ...

Comment

I am SO GLAD some one thought about giving us a HOW TO on the RPi and the dongle!! I have been thinking of doing the same, but I never worked with a Pi before and my Linux is limited to a few basic commands I use on a server daily. This will be an ideal solution to feed data to out beloved FR24, cheap and small and possibly very low-maintenance too.

I have been thinking further .... what about adding a 3G USB stick modem (or whatever they are called in the rest of the world) to create a stand alone autonomous feeder that you can put up anywhere where there is power (or possibly a small solar panel installation) ... but I fear the 3G mobile network part will be my downfall - wont be able to get that configured on the Pi.

Those who are using a Pi - give us some feedback on how reliable it is, how maintenanceless (or intensive) it is. Are you using a Pi A or B model? Will it matter? *noob question*
                *spunge mode on* Those who are running a Pi solution and have done all the work, what about sharing your SD card/build with us? Will it work to just raw copy it over somehow and away you go? I have a large DropBox
                Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-08-24, 12:33.

Comment

I'll take it as far as how to get it going with a wired connection - only extending it to POE.

My write up is just the minimal and common install.

- if people want to add WIFI (dongles in satellite dishes to get 40km range [mountain tops]), or
                  - 3G (phone network) network dongles etc, they'll need to write an article.

but do be aware that the wifi adapter, etc chosen should be a common one available world wide for it to be of use to others.

I would suggest people do get and extra SD card or two and try to build from scratch - it will remove some of the FUD (fear, uncertainty & distrust) from doing stuff on Linux, and will help them problem solve their own stuff in the future.

This install should be pretty maintenance free ... unless software upgrades are desired ... then follow the write up, using another SD card and you can do it yourself, without burning what was there before.

(the 2GB SD card image [513Mb zipped] file is slowly uploading now)
                  Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-24, 13:09.

Comment

Image updated
                    document updated to say how to deploy image (found an error in a script on the image - document says how to fix it during deployment)
                    doc & image are here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UE&usp=sharing

---

Edit 5 months later - My feeder rig
                    pi.jpg

Note. The power injector is because I have an in-line amplifier in the antenna feed
                    - without this I could just use a 5v power supply and not need the voltage regulator

This feeder station runs un-attended for weeks at a time (usually if it's down it's because i need the power socket for the lawn mower or other tool - it restarts automatically when power is restored)
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-11-24, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Image updated
                      document updated to say how to deploy image (found an error in a script on the image - document says how to fix it during deployment)
                      doc & image are here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UE&usp=sharing
                      Thanks for the document and the image file!
                      I will test it out if I get the equipment, will be over 3 à 4 weeks...

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work Peterhr! I will for sure make use of it. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Peterhr - So far I got my RasPI, just awaiting on a USB dongle to arrive (4 from different parts of the world coming to me). Downloaded and installed your image on the PI, so far without any hassles. Will see how it goes once I have the dongle to connect to it.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                            Peterhr - So far I got my RasPI, just awaiting on a USB dongle to arrive (4 from different parts of the world coming to me). Downloaded and installed your image on the PI, so far without any hassles. Will see how it goes once I have the dongle to connect to it.
                            Excellent - Did you remember to order an MCX adaptor see http://www.maplin.co.uk/pocket-tv-mc...adaptor-625579 for pictures - the antenna socket on the tuner is tiny, and it's frustrating to have to wait for one to arrive to be able to connect the better aerial you've just made.

Off topic. A "beagleboard black" has just arrived - will try that with the dongle - should be much faster than the PI at similar cost (have some home decorating to do first though).

Comment

Since I am not sure what connectors to expect on the dongles due to arrive, no, I haven't ordered such yet. With the RasPI it would be possible to go to the roof for 6m above ground antenna placement, while I then can get a better antenna for the setup and get the cable and connector sorted out. Have an antenna manufacturer that can make me a dipole, and have the instructions for 2 different DIY models. Seems the "spidertenna" is the better one.
                              I should be able to get connectors locally...

Having said that, I'm curious about the coverage I would get from my roof vs. a high site I have access to. Real unobstructed view of the horizon from about 55m above ground. Only problem is EM noise on there.

Which brings me to an off topic: How sensitive is 1090mHz for EM noise and from other weather phenomena such as rain/thunder cells?
                              Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-08-28, 12:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X