• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, roofer! Now it works.
    feeding data as EDDS9 through a Raspberry Pi with RTL2832U+R820T USB stick

Comment

Hi

Got my DVB-T and try set it up on 15 floor building using indoor ADSB antenna. Firstly it see only 2-3 planes, manually set the gain down to 37 seem to get the best result (10 at most) but seem to miss a lot of plane. Any more tweak from your experience?

My setup is DVB-T on RPi (rtl-sdr, dump1090. fr24 static 225). ANRB indoor antenna and 15Mb Internet.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad 2 Limited Ed. using Tapatalk HD
      Last edited by Kanok; 2013-05-12, 16:47.
      T-VTBD1 : RadarBox 3km North of VTBD
      T-VTBD2 : RPi MLAT 300m South of VTBD

Comment

Originally posted by Kanok View Post
        Hi

Got my DVB-T and try set it up on 15 floor building using indoor ADSB antenna. Firstly it see only 2-3 planes, manually set the gain down to 37 seem to get the best result (10 at most) but seem to miss a lot of plane. Any more tweak from your experience?

My setup is DVB-T on RPi (rtl-sdr, dump1090. fr24 static 225). ANRB indoor antenna and 15Mb Internet.
        Location, location, location! Can you get the antenna outside the window? maybe sealed in a plastic bag or something.

I had 2 AC from inside the window, 10 AC from just outside the window, and now on stick some 40-50 centimeters from the window I get 30-40 Aircraft out to a distance of 140-150 Nautical miles.

Next thing is a better antenne completely away from the building.

Comment

Am I correct that Dump1090 only supports input from dvb-t devices? I have a Mode-S Beast and was wondering if I can use that with a Pi?

Colin

Comment

dump1090 is only for use with certain USB DVB-T dongles. Given the very low cost, it works extremely well.

The RPi is just a neat little computer, and I know no reason why you cannot use a Mode-S Beast receiver with it.
            This guy had some success. It looks like you need adsbox to decode the output of the Mode-S

What hardware / software are you currently using with your receiver?

Comment

I have been watching this very interesting thread for some time now, i meant to post a few weeks ago.

I don't know if this any help to you guys with the Dongles, but i read somewhere that you should not download the TV Software that comes with these Sticks as causes conflicts with the Mode-S Software.
              AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

@ speedbird1960:

Thanks for bringing this up.

The software that comes with these very cheap RTL SDR dongles (my dongle's lsusb ID is 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T ) is only for windows.

BUT I discovered to my cost when playing with some of the linux software for my dongle, that if I install software to let me to use the dongle as a TV receiver, it stops me using it with SDR ("Software Defined Radio") and dump1090 etc.

The solution was to blacklist the dvb-specific modues
                Code:
                dvb_core 
                dvb_usb 
                dvb_usb_rtl28xxu 
                dvb_usb_v2
                so they would no longer be loaded by udev when the stick was plugged in. (I do not watch TV anyway, it was just a "what happens if...?").

Then everything ADS-B worked as it should, as did all the SDR programs like gqrx.

So you can either watch TV, or play with SDR and ADSB. You can't do both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by roofer View Post
                  1] Yes, you can set what programs you want to start at boot either by making entries in /etc/rc.local or making an /etc/init.d/ script (as usual with linux, there are several ways to achieve the same result)

2] It is not necessary to send the time. The regular version of dump1090 (which I am using) does not do this. There is a patched version which does, but I do not see the point, unless you have your clock set to within a few nanoseconds of accuracy. As an aside, the above link pretty much tells you all you need to know to get your RPi up & running, as well as an example of an init.d script to make sure it starts working after a reboot.

A USB GPS dongle will allow you to set the time to about 1 microsecond accuracy. This is probably not sufficient for accurate MLAT calculations. For accuracy to the nanosecond you'll need a GPS receiver with a "one pulse per second" (1PPS) output to connect to one of the GPIO pins on the RPi, and a special kernel, configured to use this data. You'll also have to set up the ntp daemon to use this information. This is not difficult, and a search engine will help you.

3] Most of us seem to be using the fr24feed_arm-le_225s version. That is the statically linked version. This works well.

Good luck.
                  Hi, folks,

I've followed the instructions at http://www.satsignal.eu/Radio/dump1090.html and lo and behold it works well. However, once I follow the instructions to have dump1090 start automatically, my rpi will no longer boot. If I unplug my R820T dongle, it will boot. If I run the init.d script manually (with dongle plugged in) it works just fine. This rpi is a fascinating piece of hardware but it's also so incredibly frustrating that I'm ready to chuck it out the window into very heavy traffic. So, as you might imagine, any help will be appreciated.

Rob
                  Flight Tracking Tutorials: http://www.sonicgoose.com
                  My BaseStation Log: http://flights.sonicgoose.com
                  My Photography: http://www.blindedbytheflash.com
                  Me: http://www.robertjones.ca

Comment

Please don't throw the RPi out just yet (send it to me, I'd like more!).

The Rpi is cheap, and very, very good.

The FR24 all-in-one receiver is no doubt better, but also very much more expensive http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-Receiver than a RPi & dongle.

I am not sure why you cannot reboot, and have the feeder software automatically restarted, but I am mightily busy with other stuff right now, and not able to offer you much help at the moment..

Sorry, but I'll be back later, if someone else hasn't sorted your problems by then ....

Comment

Hi

Have anybody experience with Radarbox working under linux (on Raspberry)? Using Wine, for example.
                      F-UAAR1 T-UAAR3

Comment

Originally posted by Dauren View Post
                        Have anybody experience with Radarbox working under linux (on Raspberry)? Using Wine, for example.
                        No, sorry!
                        Michael
                        Palmerston North,
                        New Zealand
                        ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Hi

Interesting article here:

F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Hi

I have experiences using the Radarbox as a paper-weight.
                            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Unstable system

I have set up a system based on microADSB stick and Raspberry Pi. Basically it is working - but not very stable.

Description in this post of the "monster thread":
                              All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Maybe someone has an idea why adsb is eventually stopping? Any hints are welcomed.

Comment

I am not using adsbox, I am using dump1090 which has been very stable (uptime is 53 days so far) with a RTL2838 USB-connected DVB-T.

Is your "microADSB" a special 1090MHz receiver, or is it a generic USB DVB-T receiver that you are tuning to 1090MHz?

If the microADSB is connected via a serial port, how are you setting the device's baudrate, start, stop, parity etcetera?

In your script, you are setting the baud rate at 3000000, that is three million. Most serial ports will not go that fast.

If the microADSB is connected via USB maybe you should try connecting it with a powered USB hub, rather than relying on the RPi to provide sufficuent power.

Comment

Working...
                                X