This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sb101 View Post
    So why does v3.7.1 work in landscape mode on my HTC Desire C, which has an even smaller display/resolution than the Huawei Y300?
    4.1.1 is the latest release with a different display layout.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR24support View Post
      4.1.1 is the latest release with a different display layout.
      Why was the "display layout" changed though so that it wouldn't display in landscape mode unless on a tablet? It says *nothing* about that on Google Play - the first I learned of it was *after* upgrading. Luckily I've been able to obtain a copy of v3.7.1 which is working fine in landscape mode.

It seems that every recent upgrade of this app has resulted in something getting broken. I don't think I'll be upgrading further as with these breakages and seemingly silly changes, it's just making the app too annoying, which is a shame as it *used* to be good, and not that long ago either

Comment

• Are there any plans to include airport filtering capabilities for the app? I live in Northern New Jersey just west of Manhattan which means some of the busiest airspace in the US. Without such filtering I'm usually just looking at a yellow/orange blob unless very late at night.

Comment

Why was the "display layout" changed though so that it wouldn't display in landscape mode unless on a tablet? It says *nothing* about that on Google Play - the first I learned of it was *after* upgrading. Luckily I've been able to obtain a copy of v3.7.1 which is working fine in landscape mode.

It seems that every recent upgrade of this app has resulted in something getting broken. I don't think I'll be upgrading further as with these breakages and seemingly silly changes, it's just making the app too annoying, which is a shame as it *used* to be good, and not that long ago either
          I use a utility on my phone called Rotation Control by FaMe IT: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rotate_license

It's not free but it solves problems exactly like this. I have it install on both my phone and tablet, which is probably why I did not even know this issue existed until reading this thread. I had it installed because some other news apps I like to use that are "portrait-centric" but there are times, especially when using my tablet with dock attached, that I need to view them in landscape. I installed this little gem and problem solved. As a result in just automatically reoriented FR when I turn my phone so I did not realize the app even had this flaw, and it is a flaw in the app. The user should dictate what orientation to view in, not the app.
          Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-08-26, 23:15. Reason: LINK CHANGED TO GOOGLE PLAY LINK, AS MY ANTI VIRUS BLOCKED THE TINY URL.

Comment

• Soory, that's the link to the license. The link to the app itself is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fameit.rotate
            Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-08-26, 23:14. Reason: LINK CHANGED TO GOOGLE PLAY LINK, AS MY ANTI VIRUS BLOCKED THE TINY URL.

Comment

• Originally posted by agardk View Post
              As a result in just automatically reoriented FR when I turn my phone so I did not realize the app even had this flaw, and it is a flaw in the app. The user should dictate what orientation to view in, not the app.
              Exactly agardk! And thanks for the reply. The FR24 developers need to understand this.

My Android device alerted me a couple of times today that there was an update available to FR24, but no mention of this being corrected, so I'm sticking with an old version which DOES work.

FR24 relies upon people feeding the network with their local data - if they don't feed this data, FR24's entire network would be useless. I have been feeding data for some time now (using my own hardware and Internet connection, and therefore at my own expense), but because of the extremely poor response of FR24 to this issue I have cut my feed. So, gone is a feeder and a LOT of data for several London airports.

Perhaps others who are not happy with FR24's responses should do the same, i.e. cut their feeds? - maybe then FR24 would stop being so cocky/arrogant and listen to their users...

Comment

Exactly agardk! And thanks for the reply. The FR24 developers need to understand this.

My Android device alerted me a couple of times today that there was an update available to FR24, but no mention of this being corrected, so I'm sticking with an old version which DOES work.

FR24 relies upon people feeding the network with their local data - if they don't feed this data, FR24's entire network would be useless. I have been feeding data for some time now (using my own hardware and Internet connection, and therefore at my own expense), but because of the extremely poor response of FR24 to this issue I have cut my feed. So, gone is a feeder and a LOT of data for several London airports.

Perhaps others who are not happy with FR24's responses should do the same, i.e. cut their feeds? - maybe then FR24 would stop being so cocky/arrogant and listen to their users...

Well, frankly that seems a bit of an extreme course of action but it is, of course, your choice. As I said, I already had a utility on my phone and tablet that renders this point moot, not only for FR24 but other similarly way-wood apps so it's not really an issue for me. Then again I am fairly new to FR and am still learning so my frustration levels have yet to begin to rise.

My biggest problem with the app is not its orientation but its lack of the ability to filter by airport. I live in the metro NYC area which is the busiest airspace in the US. Without being able to filter to say just the EWR or JFK flights, with anything other than extreme mag I pretty much just get a big blob of aircraft. It so much of an issue, in fact, that I've pretty much given up on the app and just use the web site in the mobile browser.

Comment

• Ok, so page after page after page we are discussing if "rotation" or "filter for airport" is more important or not needed, which makes the thread hard to read for someone who is looking for relevant information.

Rotation
                  We have understood that rotation is a big issue for about 10-15 users. As said before, there is no support rotating phones in current design. I have never seen a single screenshot on Twitter, Facebook, G+ or web in landscape mode, so the use is really limited. It will probably be reintroduced later but the priority is quite low.

Filter for airport
                  We have understood that this is something that some users want. We try to find a balance between new features, updating current features and doing things that are already available + how much time needs to be invested to get some things done. You can view all flights heading to an airport in arrival tables, and next update will also include an improved search where you search for airport. We prefer to prioritize features that are not available today, like the 3D view, or things that does not perform so good, like the AR-view, instead of making the same feature 2-3 times. Filters will be improved some time in the future but that is also a bit down on the priority list.

"Rotation" and "Filter for Airport" topics are closed for now.
                  Thank you

Comment

• Just noticed after the latest update that smaller private aircraft like Cessnas and Grobs are being picked up too, which is great. Don't know if this is update specific or it's just that I've not noticed these previously but are there any plans in the pipeline to introduce a new plane shape for the smaller aircraft?
                    Last edited by Good Old Bakes; 2013-08-27, 15:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good Old Bakes View Post
                      Just noticed after the latest update that smaller private aircraft like Cessnas and Grobs are being picked up too, which is great. Don't know if this is update specific or it's just that I've not noticed these previously but are there any plans in the pipeline to introduce a new plane shape for the smaller aircraft?
                      The MLAT traffic was actually not a part of app-update. You can read about MLAT here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-Flightradar24
                      I think that most needed icons are available today. Is there some special one your are missing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        The MLAT traffic was actually not a part of app-update. You can read about MLAT here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-Flightradar24
                        I think that most needed icons are available today. Is there some special one your are missing?
                        Great stuff, thanks. Do you need to buy the additional 'aircraft shapes' add-on to show the smaller planes, such as like what you see on the website?

Comment

• Here is a small preview of next Android app release

App should be ready for release in about 1 week

Comment

Comment

• Hey:

Does anyone know if Flightradar24 the lastest version will work on the Android version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich. Got a chance to get a samsung phone with this version on it, i do believe the OS can be upgraded to the latest version.

Comment

• Latest app version should support all versions of Android 4.x

Comment

Working...
                                X