Hong Kong Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong Radar

I have noticed during the past few weeks that the excellent Hong Kong radar now has a blind spot on aircraft landing from the west. When aircraft are on base leg before turning finals for a landing from the west, the aircraft time out on screen at around 3000 feet because of loss of data. The aircraft then reappear on the radar just before touchdown at around 1500 feet.
    Previously you could follow aircraft landing from the west all the way to touchdown at Hond Kong without the aircraft timing out on the base leg.
    Has one of the Flightradar24 contributors left who used to supply that radar coverage?
    Is it possible for one of the present Flightradar24 contributors to cover this blind spot by repositioning his aerial?
    It would be great if Flightradar24 could get back the radar coverage for landing aircraft west of the airport.
    Hope you can help.
    aircraftenthusiast
    Last edited by aircraftenthusiast; 2012-10-18, 14:56.

If someone has turned off you would tell by the uploading radar identity changing too. It will say its someone elses ID now instead.

As for moving antennas, thats a big ask. Most people have them on their homes, that would involve moving their belongings and house to suit.

Chances are a building has been errected infront of the area, or a tree is finally impacting the signal.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

To be honest i did not check the radar identity when the Hong Kong radar had better coverage for aircraft coming in from the West.
      At the present time aircraft inbound to HKG is showing radar ident T-F4V, not sure if their was another radar ident when the HKG radar had better coverage.
      Last edited by aircraftenthusiast; 2012-10-19, 17:32.

Comment

For the past few months, aircraft flying base leg from the south for runway 07 have been timing out/disappearing off the radar before they turn right onto finals for runway 07.
        Aircrafts then reappear again on the radar on very short finals for runway 07.
        Would it be possible for the person/s who supplies the Hong Kong radar to Flightradar24, to re-position or installed bigger aerial to cover the blind spot for aircraft arriving on runways 07?

Below i have enclosed a screenshot showing BOX518 B77F D-AALA seconds before it timesout then disappears off the screen.
        It would be wonderfully if the Hong Kong radar could be fixed so that i can watch traffic all the way to touchdown.

Many thanks
        aircraftenthusiast

QQQ.jpg
        Last edited by aircraftenthusiast; 2013-02-28, 23:24.

Comment

Sorry, but I beleive what you are asking of a volunteer to suit your requirements is a bit unrealistic. Would you personally spend $180US extra on a setup you are happy with to get a high gain antenna simply because someone asked?

It is line of sight and low to ground traffic is very hard to obtain unless you are beside the airport.

As for moving antennas, thats a big ask. Most people have them on their homes, that would involve moving their belongings and house to suit.

Chances are a building has been errected infront of the area, or a tree is finally impacting the signal.
          And if it is a T-F4V receiver, they are not directly related to FR24 so will probably not be reading these threads.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi Oblivian,
            Thanks for your reply above.
            I am only making the point because previously i could watch aircraft all the way to touchdown without disappearing.
            Not sure what has happened to change this, either the person who supplied that feed is no longer doing so, or maybe an aerial location issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              Sorry, but I beleive what you are asking of a volunteer to suit your requirements is a bit unrealistic. Would you personally spend $180US extra on a setup you are happy with to get a high gain antenna simply because someone asked?
              F-WSSS1 spent USD 800 on High gain Antenna, Mast Head Amplifier, Low Loss Coaxial cables, Bandpass Filter and Power Splitters to give long range coverage around WSSS ATC area and into South China Sea ( Not West Philippines Sea ).

Flightradar24 vs Radarbox24_ 8 1 Mar 2013.jpgFlightradar24 vs Radarbox24_ 7 1 Mar 2013.jpgFlightradar24 vs Radarbox24_ 6 1 Mar 2013.jpgFlightradar24 vs Radarbox24_ 5 1 Mar 2013.jpg
              Last edited by Birdie; 2013-03-01, 06:10.
              F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Yes, but that was to improve your own hobby and coverage as a whole. You weren't asked to, or do it just to make it better near 1 particular small 'blackhole' area

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  Yes, but that was to improve your own hobby and coverage as a whole. You weren't asked to, or do it just to make it better near 1 particular small 'blackhole' area
                  My hobby is not plane spotting but something else.

I gave my best for everyone to enjoy to cover WSSS as wide as possible.

Prior to me involvement in 2010, WSSS was a "black-hole".

But, to ask someone to fork out $$$ just to cover a small "black-hole" is too much.
                  F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

All - hi, how is HK Radar now..
                    I live at Tung Chung and have direct line of sight to the airport with a receiver now in place.. installed about a month ago.

The issue I have based on my location is traffic south and also to the west ..

Comment

Hello ThisIsHk,

are you the one with radar code: F-VHHH1? Any chance of knowing when you will be back online to FR24 providing feed for HK if you are indeed F-VHHH1? No feeder at all at HK now

Comment

HK Radar

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                        Hello ThisIsHk,

are you the one with radar code: F-VHHH1? Any chance of knowing when you will be back online to FR24 providing feed for HK if you are indeed F-VHHH1? No feeder at all at HK now
                        Yes - that radar code is me.. about 2 weeks ago the scanner went faulty, has been returned to FR24 and I am awaiting the replacement unit too arrive

Comment

Originally posted by ThisIsHK View Post
                          Yes - that radar code is me.. about 2 weeks ago the scanner went faulty, has been returned to FR24 and I am awaiting the replacement unit too arrive
                          Thanks for the reply. Ah right that's why. Let's hope you get the replacement soon. Could it be because of static that caused the FR24 receiver to be faulty? Anyway looking forward to having the feed back as HK has such a high volume of a/c. Thanks for doing this.

Comment

Hooray you are back online! ground planes of VHHH and ZGSZ is back! thanks

Comment

Hello ThisIsHk,

I've got the DVB-T receiver and started to feed data for FR24. However, I found the reception is not good, may I know which device and antenna are you using now? Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X