Hawaii ADS-B Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chuck

You may want to get in touch with the FR24 team as they may be interested in helping you set up as an Hawaiian feeder?

Maybe contact Fredrik:

fredrik@fr24.com
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Hi Chuck !

So, if you live that high on maybe you could be interesting in marine AIS as well.You could track ships and your locations looks promising for good and distant reception.Maybe you could get set up for free.It is hard to find someone to send feed from there.
      Hope to see your ADS-B feed from Hawaii.I have been using microADSB stick as well.Nice stuff but recommend you to buy external high gain antenna.It is big difference comparing high gain antenna and that small whip which comes with stick.
      Last edited by LDSP; 2012-10-09, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by LDSP View Post
        recommend you to buy external high gain antenna.
        I think this has been covered elsewhere, but it's not necessarily the case that a high gain antenna is better for 1090GHz. The real issue is to get your antenna outside, away from obstructions, with the best view of the sky, and with high quality low-loss cable. I think it was Seymour Cray who said "you can't fake what you ain't got" ... I always recommend that people measure first, then try to optimize their setup. If you have a good view of the sky, a gain antenna won't help you much, and it can hurt you -- especially when using the less expensive receivers.

Comment

Guys,

It is a bit confusing but, having been to Hawaii myself, Chuck is on Big Island which is also known as Hawaii. It is the errr, biggest Island in the Hawaiian chain. HNL is on Oahu. HNL will have lots of intercontinental traffic but KOA may not. Chuck said that HNL is 175 miles away from where he is (Big Island/Hawaii).

I am not in a position to comment (I am not a feeder) but if Chuck cannot receive traffic near Big Island - KOA airport - then he may have felt that his hard earned cash may not have been wisely spent.

Chuck needs someone to tell him that there is and he WILL pick up ADSB equipped traffic near KOA airport........

Big Island? Lovely place!
          Last edited by Marc C; 2012-10-09, 19:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckinKona View Post
            1,500 foot elevation on the West side of a volcano known as Hualali looking to the West over the Pacific. The volcano summit is about 8,000 feet. The Kona airport (KOA) is about 6 miles away on a heading of 310 deg. HNL is about 175 miles away, also at about 310 deg. Lat/long N19 deg 41' and 155 deg 58'W.
            That altitude is going to help quite a bit. My guess is you'll get "plenty" of HNL traffic, especially arrivals and departures to/from the south and west. I wouldn't be surprised if you get the west coast US A/B/C/D/E/F track traffic, too, though that's more north and might be blocked.

Comment

Hi Chuck

Did you order a receiver and has it arrived yet?
              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Aloha Mike,

On order, in mail, should be here before long. Not too optimistic as I don't think the geometry of aircraft arrivals & the obstructions in that general direction. But,,, time will tell.

Chuck

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Keep us posted.
                  Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Aloha Mike,

Microadsb receiver arrived mid day today after almost six weeks in the mail system, installed along with ADSBscope. Both hardware and Miro provided ADSBscope on CD software appear to be operating well.

I during the afternoon I saw a fair amount of decoded contacts, lets say often as many as ten with a drop aircraft interval of five minutes, but typically only one, two, or three of them showing position information at any one time. I have had several position report in the vicinity of HNL at as low an altitude as 6000 feet, and slightly to the South of the airport, which is 150 NM away from the receiver and some tracks coming out of/or into HNL to the West and Southwest of HNL in up to in excess of 200 and 250 NM from my receiver at typical cruising altitudes.

My receiver is located at N 19.677 and 155.967 W at about 1,500 feet above sea level, which puts us about 7 NM SSE from the KOA airport on the Western tip of the island of Hawaii. Antenna is sitting in a window looking out over the Pacific almost due West. Preliminary conclusions are good RF visibility to the West up to Northwest from my receiver location, and nothing useful more to the North of NW due to trees and/or hard land obstructions. Receiver and antenna are doing their job based on several contacts as far as 150 NM/6,000 feet altitude, and two of 200 & 250 NM each at cruising altitude. Also of note is that the receiver tracked a contact to touchdown at the KOA airport which is only 7 NM away, so close in contact doesn't appear to be a problem.

It is getting late at night and the traffic is getting sparse, so I think I've learned about all I can on first blush.

But,,, my problem is that I've tried to become a feeder, and failed so far. The feeder application sign up function appears to be working, but the ADS-B equipped/position reporting contacts have not so far met what I take to be a "at least three required" threshold. Have gotten up to "02 AC", and so it looks like that although my system appears to by linked to the Flightradar24 feeder application (as it is reporting a count of aircraft contact), unless I come across more traffic, I may not automatically be able to get a sharing key from the application. Near as I can tell, the feeder application is only counting an aircraft if is most recent report is within the last 10 seconds or so. I've had three showing in the ADSBscope table at one time, but apparently some of them were too old to count toward the minimum of three. At the long ranges I'm typically seeing position reporting contact they don't appear to be received at short intervals.

Is there a workaround to get into feeding?

Hope I haven't provided too much information, but would rather say more than needed than leave holes. Flightradar24 is a great system, hope I can fill in a void in the middle of the Pacific, subject to the laws of physics.

Mahalo,

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckinKona View Post
                      Is there a workaround to get into feeding?
                      Contact FR24 Support direct and explain. They will help.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
                      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Aloha Mike,

Done.

Chuck

Comment

I just tried Playback for the Hawaiian area as Playback does not show FAA Data and found some plots.
                          It looks you are showing as Radar: T-PHKO1, FAA Radar: T-F5M.

http://fr24.com/2012-11-20/09:56/QFA15 (The Aircraft did not move on the Map.)

http://fr24.com/2012-11-20/10:14/UPS2964 (I thought this Aircraft was in the wrong place but Flightstats have it routing to you.)

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

http://fr24.com/2012-11-20/11:11/ACA034 (This is the best one as it plots the longest.)

http://fr24.com/2012-11-20/13:26/UPS2967 (This one from HNL heading for OGG was visible down to about 7000 feet, the Mountain at Makawao blocked the signal.)

http://fr24.com/2012-11-20/16:09/JST3 (Last one, these links will give you some idea of your coverage area.)

Great to see you up and running.

I think with a bit fine tunning with your set-up and you will see even better coverage.
                          Last edited by speedbird1960; 2012-11-20, 16:13.
                          AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Yes, T-PHKO-1 showing on FR24 at 1648 GMT - great to see the Islands having some coverage!

Comment

Aloha Folks,

Yes, I'm up and running, although the coverage is limited to a NW to SW quadrant looking to the West of the Western tip of the island of Hawaii. Receiver is located at about 1,500 feet looking out over the Pacific. Have made contacts over 250 NM away. Coverage in the direction of HNL is about 150 NM down to an altitude of about 6,000 feet, which catches approaches and climb outs. Looks like 80% or so of the traffic is not ADS-B equipped.

Chuck

Comment

Welcome Chuck , don't count the none adsb stuff, its what you can see that's important, more ADSB aircraft turning up all the time, so things can only get better for you and us, BIG THANK YOU for putting in the receiver. and welcome....

Comment

Working...
                                X