Page 266 of 266 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266
Results 2,651 to 2,653 of 2653

Thread: best antenna

Passenger
    I finally finished my NEMA approved fire proof steel box to enclose both RPi3s and their power supplies, network switch and a 12volt power supply for the LNA once these emerge from the postal cloud.
    20170220_160837.jpg20170220_160853.jpg

The two RPis (T-KCLT3 & T-KCLT19) are stacked so you need to look closely to see the two FlightAware ProSticks.

WHilst this maneuver eliminated a 21 ft RG6 downfeed, it made virtually no difference to my range. However I am now in the position where I can experiment with antennas easily using short cables and with LNA power easily to hand. I just hope that the 100 degree F + temperature in my attic doesn't cook the electronics. Time will tell.
    Last edited by rederikus; Yesterday at 21:53.
    T-KCLT3 main system, T-KCLT19 test system

@arederikus:
    You are already using a Pro Stick which has an integral 19 dB LNA. Adding another LNA may overload the receiver and worsen its performance.

Please see Pro Stick's Specs on this page:
    http://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/
    Last edited by abcd567; Yesterday at 23:17.

Passenger
    Thank you for pointing this out.

It may and it may not. I read the specs and ordered the LNA anyway. I kind of agree with you. It may well overload the front end of the ProStick's amp. I will try it out and see what happens. You already told me that the built in LAN does not have adjustable gain and it is the receiver that has that function. It is therefore highly likely that I shall feed more level into the ProStick that it can handle. I need to plumb these limits to find just how far I can go.

I also intend trying out a longer Franklin antenna. The construction technique I have (grinding the joined ends to a D shape and soldering) allows me to easily make a Franklin with an extra two elements. I wish to see what that does for me. I'll also need at least one more LNA for this test.

I may get nowhere with this given the problems of my location but, ya gotta try.
    T-KCLT3 main system, T-KCLT19 test system