Feeder map update question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeder map update question ...

How often is the FlightRadar feeder map updated - or - is the FlightRadar feeder map up to date?

I'm in Georgetown, Guyana, and based on the FlightRadar feeder map, there appear to be no feeders here - however - when I visit the FlightRadar page I can see aircraft shown that suggest there is a feeder, for example, locally registered aircraft that are operating within Guyana's air space - one such aircraft is 8R-YAC, a Cessna 208b.

In similar fashion, commercial traffic operating from either of our two international airports are visible shortly after take off without there being an estimated position or route, and commercial traffic over flying Guyana's airspace, for example between North America & Sao Paolo or Brasilia are also visible with out their route/position being shown as estimated.

If there's no feeder, where's the data coming from?

There is no official feeder map. (that I know of)

The one you refer to is probably the one that people can choose to mark their location if they wish. Of all the feeders only a small percentage visit the forum or know of its existence.

If you mean the one in the how it works section. That is just a screenshot from one afternoon when the editor decided to take it
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      Of all the feeders only a small percentage visit the forum or know of its existence.
      As someone who, after quite a few years, is going to become a feeder as soon as I can find time to obtain and install the gear, this is one of the imponderables of FR24. Why new feeders are not officially announced in some way and encouraged to participate in these forums astounds me.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
        As someone who, after quite a few years, is going to become a feeder as soon as I can find time to obtain and install the gear, this is one of the imponderables of FR24. Why new feeders are not officially announced in some way and encouraged to participate in these forums astounds me.
        For some of the newer generation. You mention forums, they go.. what? Or a 'thread' is a conversation going on in Facebook. Theres quite the global downfall on forum use. They are now more used by Blackhat SEO spammers more than anything. I'm banning about 15-20 new users a day that are just trying to up google search links to a website they have scammed out of money to 'increase rank'

A lot of people don't know how to drive vbulletin and the likes either. I still see people checking the main listing, or their own profiles and other users as a means of finding threads they or the other person have been partaking in rather than hitting the button at the top of the screen. For some its a generation gap, for others its an unfamiliar medium

And as a result. Lots either shutdown or are abandoned. The fact this has a niche group still partaking is a miracle really.

In the how-to guides etc there are threads referenced for basic help for people, but as the preferred support is via email I don't think its actively promoted to new feeders but rather kept as a social medium
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Back before the "birth of the internet" (I'm really showing my age here), there were community bulletin boards, an online version of the bulletin boards that you can still sometimes find at the local supermarket, you really had to be a computer buff to even know that they existed or how to use them, and even more of a geek to actually set them up and find the resources (telephone lines, etc.) required to host them. The internet (and AOL) changed all that, and yes, facebook et al, is changing the scene again.

I "cut my teeth" on 110 baud modems (the style where you rest the telephone handset on the coupler) and have watched the technology evolve to where it is today and whilst I agree that fora such as this are slowly dying, they fill a niche that the likes of facebook can never do - once they reach "critical mass", they become a searchable repository of collective experiences, a technical treasure trove for future generations - emphasis on searchable, you have to go hunt down the information, not sitback and see it popup in front of you

I've spent the last few days wading through the 250+ page "best antenna thread", trying to separate the wheat from the chaff (always a problem with fora) and there's a lot of chaff there - in preparation for setting up what I thought was going to be the first FR feeder here, but, whilst using FR as a sort of "benchmark", I recognized that the data being displayed could only come from a local feeder - sometimes I seem to have better coverage, sometimes not as good, but, I'm aware that my setup is sub-optimal - I'm waiting on the last few weatherproof fittings which should be here today, and once I have those I can mast mount the system which should improve things considerably.

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by fordem View Post
            I'm in Georgetown, Guyana, and based on the FlightRadar feeder map, there appear to be no feeders here - however - when I visit the FlightRadar page I can see aircraft shown that suggest there is a feeder, for example, locally registered aircraft that are operating within Guyana's air space - one such aircraft is 8R-YAC, a Cessna 208b.

In similar fashion, commercial traffic operating from either of our two international airports are visible shortly after take off without there being an estimated position or route, and commercial traffic over flying Guyana's airspace, for example between North America & Sao Paolo or Brasilia are also visible with out their route/position being shown as estimated.

If there's no feeder, where's the data coming from?
            From me

Well that's part true.
            Near/in? Boa Vista (Brazil) there is a feeder covering the western part of Guyana.
            The eastern part (al the way to the south) is coverd by the two feeders in Paramaribo, two at Zanderij and since a couple of months ago F-SMNI1 in Nickerie.
            The north parth is covered by F-SMNI and the feeders out of Venezuela and Trinidad.

F-SYGO1 covers the flights at lower altitudes but has a limited range of aprox 75 nm

also check out these posts
            http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post74667 and further postst
            http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post68354 -> Had contact with F-SYGO1

[...] in preparation for setting up what I thought was going to be the first FR feeder here,
            You'll be the second FR24 feeder in Guyana.

Check out http://jollain.com/FR24/stats.php for stats. Sometimes not all radars show up.
            As an alternative I use https://www.flightradar24.com/share-statistics

Be sure to post your setup in the http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-hardware thread
            F-SMZO2

Comment

Thanks for responding - last night I discovered how (or rather, where) to look in the flight radar tracks to see which "radar" is tracking that particular flight - so far I've seen F-SYGO (which I suspect is located at SYGO - Ogle Airport) three out of Suriname - apparently at the airports at Nieuw Nickerie, Zorg-en-hoop & Johan Pengel (Zanderij), and at least two more in Venezuela - F-SMZO has impressive range, how high is your antenna?

I also found the hardware thread yesterday, and I've taken a few pictures of the "equipment" to post there - but I think I need to get my post count up before I can do that - I'm not certain if I can upload pictures directly here or if I have to host them elsewhere and post a link - I'm using a RaspberryPi 3 with a NooElec SDR, everything will be enclosed in a sealed box and mounted on the antenna "mast" and powered via the Ethernet cable - everything is assembled and tested, except for the antenna itself - I am still fiddling with different designs and have not yet decided if I will buy one or go DIY - using DIY antennas and a "sub-optimal" mount (out of a first floor window maybe 15' over ground level), on a good day I can "see" as far as 150 nm to the North, so I figure I could get decent coverage if I were to mount it another 20' or so feet higher, over the roof, where it can "see" more clearly in all directions - with the antenna in it's current position I seem to have better coverage to the north than F-SYGO which I find quite surprising.

This morning I was looking for ways to get a unit installed at SYCJ - I know the guys responsible for IT up there, and also have a friend who manages the Rubis fuel facility - but I have a feeling there will be questions regarding liability in the event something untoward happens.

Comment

Thanks for responding - last night I discovered how (or rather, where) to look in the flight radar tracks to see which "radar" is tracking that particular flight - so far I've seen F-SYGO (which I suspect is located at SYGO - Ogle Airport) three out of Suriname - apparently at the airports at Nieuw Nickerie, Zorg-en-hoop & Johan Pengel (Zanderij), and at least two more in Venezuela - F-SMZO has impressive range, how high is your antenna?.
                The radarcode is allocated based on the nearest airport. In my case that is Zorg & Hoop (SMZO).
                In Suriname we have F-SMZO1, F-SMZO2 (Mine), T-SMJP1, F-SMJP1, F-SMNI1 and T-SMZO1

More info on my set-up: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post75373

I'm not certain if I can upload pictures directly here or if I have to host them elsewhere and post a link [...] n a good day I can "see" as far as 150 nm to the North, so I figure I could get decent coverage if I were to mount it another 20' or so feet higher, over the roof, where it can "see" more clearly in all directions [...]
                For pictures I use imgur.

150 nm is not bad at all at that elevation. The higher the better! (except for buildings in the neighborhood because they block my signal )

This morning I was looking for ways to get a unit installed at SYCJ - I know the guys responsible for IT up there, and also have a friend who manages the Rubis fuel facility - but I have a feeling there will be questions regarding liability in the event something untoward happens.
                F-SMJP1 is located at Johan Adolf Pengel International.
                Maybe your friends can get you in contact with someone from ATC. ATC's are more likely to help argue your case to install a radar at the airport I think that FlightRadar24 will be more than happy to supply a kit if it can be installed at the airport.
                F-SMZO2

Comment

Working...
                X