SBS1 PI FR24 Does not connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS1 PI FR24 Does not connect

I have an old SBS-1 .. Connected to the PI .. shows up as Device 5 .. (I'm not very good at Unix) but not tracking ..

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong ?

Tried with and without /dev/ttyUSB0

2016-12-21 20:45:38 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS1 receiver via USB ()
    2016-12-21 20:45:38 | [reader][e]Could not connect to receiver

Many thanks for any help.

Ty Peter

-------------

Flightradar24 Feeder/Decoder

Linux/generic/armv7l/1.0.18-7

Updated: 21:05:31 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

FR24 Link: Connected via UDP
    FR24 Radar Code: T-EGTB17
    Aircraft Tracked (ModeS & ADS-B): 0
    Aircraft Uploaded: N/A
    Receiver: sbs1usb, Connected
    MLAT running: NO

The SBS range has always been a bugbear given the way they handle data and encrypt their raw output.

There doesn't seem to be too many successful users if you do a search. However I did outline a few potential scenarios to try
    Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

USB option will only work if no other software (basestation) is also connecting to it. But it appears for the SBS1 series its easier to tap into basestation running on a PC already

I don't recall the commands offhand and would need to re-test, but it may not be USB0. And that line IS case sensitive.

/edit There it is!
    lsusb
    dmesg | grep tty
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I don't think you can use an SBS-1 as a stand-alone Mode-S receiver. The data is encrypted. The only model that allows "direct" access to the data is the SBS-3.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
        I don't think you can use an SBS-1 as a stand-alone Mode-S receiver. The data is encrypted. The only model that allows "direct" access to the data is the SBS-3.
        Umm .. the FR Uploader has an Option for SBS1 and for USB .. very odd if not supported?

Comment

Thank you .. may well be not /dev/ttyUSB0 lsusb says 0 Device 5 and is identified as Kenetic SBS.. Not sure how I would adress it though if not with /dev/ttyUSB0. Did read all of the link you sent but none the wiser sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by pwwuk View Post
            Thank you .. may well be not /dev/ttyUSB0 lsusb says 0 Device 5 and is identified as Kenetic SBS.. Not sure how I would adress it though if not with /dev/ttyUSB0. Did read all of the link you sent but none the wiser sorry.
            Have you checked the permissions for ttyUSB0 ? Sometimes this is the problem if the feeder sw isn't running as root.

I have no idea if current fr24feed supports native SBS1 connections, but I do know that way back when FR24 started, they did get the inside on how to access the SBS1 data straight from the Rx...

You can also download ModeSmixer2 from xdeco and run on the Rpi. It can definitely connect to the SBS and decode it's output, and translate it to a more useful format, and then the FR24 feeder can use the output from ModeSmixer2.
            Here is a working example of ModeSmixer2 interfacing to an SBS1, and providing 4 different formats on respective ports.

./modesmixer2 --inSerial /dev/ttyUSB1:921600:none --outServer beast:30005 --outServer sbs10001:10001 --outServer msg:30003 --outServer sbs30006:30006

/M
            F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
            T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
            P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
            mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Working...
            X