Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inaccurate IAS

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my membership to Gold so I could see indicated airspeed, but there seems to be a big problem.

While planes are on approach, the IAS on FR24 is horribly off. It usually shows 200+ knots IAS where the ground speed is only 130-140 knots.

I was wondering a) if this is a common issue, b) if this issue has been around for a while and c) if it will be fixed in the near future. If not, I'll probably be downgrading my account back to Silver.

Thanks.

ias.jpg

Hi flightkitty,

The Indicated Air Speed value is provided in the Extended Mode S from the aircraft itself and therefore there might be occasional errors in the data and we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy. For further information about Extended Mode S available on Flightradar24 please check out the below blog post:

With the release of the latest version of the Flightradar24 website we introduced new flight details called Extended Mode S data.
    Flightradar24.com Support

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Please visit About Us, How it Works, FAQs, Blog and Forum for more information about Flightradar24.

Comment

Originally posted by flightkitty View Post
      Hi all,

I recently upgraded my membership to Gold so I could see indicated airspeed, but there seems to be a big problem.

While planes are on approach, the IAS on FR24 is horribly off. It usually shows 200+ knots IAS where the ground speed is only 130-140 knots.

I was wondering a) if this is a common issue,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8113[/ATTACH]
      FC
      The difference between IAS and speed over ground will vary depending where in the world you are and what strength the winds are at the time, in general IAS will almost always be higher than ground speed as aircraft try to land into the wind,
      In some areas at certain times of the year a difference of +50 knots would not be unusual, also IAS varies with altitude (unlike TAS which is IAS corrected for the air density) IAS is only likely to be close to ground speed in very calm conditions or with a slight tail wind, now if IAS was showing 50 knots LESS than ground speed then I would be worried that something was going very wrong somewhere!
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
        FC
        The difference between IAS and speed over ground will vary depending where in the world you are and what strength the winds are at the time, in general IAS will almost always be higher than ground speed as aircraft try to land into the wind,
        In some areas at certain times of the year a difference of +50 knots would not be unusual, also IAS varies with altitude (unlike TAS which is IAS corrected for the air density) IAS is only likely to be close to ground speed in very calm conditions or with a slight tail wind, now if IAS was showing 50 knots LESS than ground speed then I would be worried that something was going very wrong somewhere!
        I'm aware of all this, and I know that the typical IAS on approach is 120-160 KIAS, therefore 200+ cannot be correct.

Comment

Working...
        X