Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii ADS-B Usage

Aloha,

I am a relatively new user and it appears that all of the data shown in Hawaii is based on the FAA radar feed. Is this due to lack of the aircraft being equiped with ADS-B or lack of ADS-B feeders?? If the later what is the likelyhood it being worthwhile for me to set up a ADS-B receiver and becoming a feeder??

Chuck

Originally posted by ChuckinKona View Post
    Aloha,

I am a relatively new user and it appears that all of the data shown in Hawaii is based on the FAA radar feed. Is this due to lack of the aircraft being equiped with ADS-B or lack of ADS-B feeders?? If the later what is the likelyhood it being worthwhile for me to set up a ADS-B receiver and becoming a feeder??

Chuck
    Chuck,
    It's the latter (lack of feeders) and every radar operator (feeder) is very much appreciated. We are all uploading in real time whereas the faa is delayed by approx. 5 minutes. If you're considering it you may want to read 'increase coverage' at the top of the FR24 map.

Regards,
    gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2012-10-07, 06:54.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

The cost of setting up a local receiver has come down with the advent of the low priced "budget" decoders such as microADSB. Plus the FR24 feeders now get access to Premium.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Aloha Mike,

Mahalo for your reply. I'm still trying to confirm whether or not a good quantity of the aircraft traffic in Hawaii can be expected to have active ADS-B systems or not. Another point of interest might be whether or not there are any feeders. When I turn the option for FAA off, all the aircraft disappear, but I can't tell if it is for lack of feeders, or lack of ADS-B equiped aircraft.

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck

It's a bit chicken and egg.

I suspect there are no direct feeds from Hawaii but I could be wrong.

As for ADS-B it will depend on the commercial traffic in the area. Looking at the intercontinental traffic there at this time, they're nearly all ADS-B equipped. You can easily check for yourself by doing a database search and see if there are historic flights that can be tracked.

What's your location like? If you're surrounded by mountains or high buildings you may not pick up much traffic. On the otherhand, if you have a great view of the sky all around you could have lots to track.

I'd lend you my spare receiver but can't afford the flight
          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Aloha Mike,

A quick characterization of my site:

1,500 foot elevation on the West side of a volcano known as Hualali looking to the West over the Pacific. The volcano summit is about 8,000 feet. The Kona airport (KOA) is about 6 miles away on a heading of 310 deg. HNL is about 175 miles away, also at about 310 deg. Lat/long N19 deg 41' and 155 deg 58'W.

I suspect I can get coverage of the Kona airport, but probably marginal due to distance to HNL, and probably limited to the East due to the 8,000 mountain directly to the East. Maui maybe, but there are some high elevation ground between my site and Maui.

Please give me some more specifics on what I should be searching for in the data base. Forgive the newbie non knowlege level. I tried some flights coming from the mainland and only came up with one (ASA825) that showed any registration number history. I looked at some HAL flights and they looked devoid of history. HAL provides quite a bit of the traffic to the Kona airport.

Mahalo,
            Chuck

Comment

There is no Radar near Hawaii, all Flights show as being on Radar: T-F5M which is FAA.

So if you set up a Radar you should get quite good coverage including overflights.

KAL53
              Airline: Korean Air
              Flight: KE53
              To: Honolulu, Honolulu (HNL)
              Aircraft: Boeing 747-4B5 (B744)
              Reg: HL7402
              Altitude: 8900 ft (2713 m)
              Speed: 300 kt (556 km/h, 345 mph)
              Track: 113°
              Hex: 71BC02
              Squawk: 0
              Pos: 21.3033 / -158.1
              Radar: T-F5M

Hawaiian Airlines Aircraft show in our Database, but that is only because they visit US mainland or other areas that are covered by our Radars.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

I would say that about 70% of Flights to Hawaii should have ADS-B, looking at Flightstats these are Flights that are in our Database.
              Track real-time flight status, departures and arrivals, airport delays, and airport information using FlightStats Global Flight Tracker.
              Last edited by speedbird1960; 2012-10-07, 21:27.
              AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Aloha,

So,,, please check my reasoning of what I think I understand the basics of my situation. It appears that there are a significant number of ADS-B equiped aircraft at least transiting the Hawaii airspace, although it is not clear if the Hawaiian Airlines inter-island shuttle aircraft are, or are not equiped. But, since all of the aircraft appear as FAA (only) radar sources it then is logical to conclude that there are no ADS-B feeders feeding privately operated ADS-B receivers located here in Hawaii.

To become a feeder, I need to get a receiver such as the microADSB unit for my PC, a compatible software package such as ADSBSCOPE, and the Flightradar24 feeder software to start feeding data into the Flightradar24 database and this data will be displayed instead of the FAA data on the Flightradar24 website. Correct? Of course this will be limited to whatever my receiver can receive, and also only to aircraft with operating ADS-B equipment.

Chuck

Comment

Correct And where you dont cover, FAA stuff still will
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi Chuck

I wrote an introduction to Radarspotting which can be downloaded from the Flightrdar24.com website:

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Aloha Mike,

Thanks for the posting and link. Funny, as I'd read it about an hour before while poking around and sorting things out. Microadsb is on order, we'll see whether or not it can see a significant amount of traffic or not. Frankly, I don't expect a lot to be visible that is ADS-B equiped, but only time will tell.

Thanks to all who responded too!

Will report more when I've got some results, or non-results.
                      Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck

You might want to take the free 21-day PlanePLotter trial when the receiver arrives.
                        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckinKona View Post
                          we'll see whether or not it can see a significant amount of traffic or not
                          I had a receiver in Hawaii a year or two ago for a week -- a friend was visiting and agreed to carry along one of my spare receivers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the amount of aircraft you'll see. Not all of it will show location, but plenty will, and if you're like any of the rest of us, even the non-ADS-B Mode-S data will become interesting to you. Knowing a particular aircraft is "nearby" can often lead to trying to find it on the radio; and it's not uncommon for the altitude data to give you an idea of where an aircraft is landing, which might lead to hopping into the car to see something rare :-) Let us know what you find when you get your receiver!

Comment

Some good points Jordan.

Welcome to another forum.
                            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
                              Welcome to another forum.
                              Hard to believe we need so many ...

Comment

Working...